phantom finder window

Discussion in 'macOS' started by tonewave, Jul 22, 2011.

1. tonewave macrumors newbie

Hi there
    I've searched high and low for a clue about this and have come up with nothing so far

I have a "phantom" finder window in the finder
    ie. if I have 2 finder windows open, and then cycle through windows,
    it cycles through like this...
    window 1 then to
    window 2 and then instead of going back to window 1 it goes to
    window 3, which is invisible

I've tried hooking up another monitor to see if the phantom window was there, but no luck there

when I go all windows its not there

I did that option/command i thing to monitor the info on the foremost window, and sure enough, its a finder window, its just not visible at all

the real kicker for me is that this problem has transferred from my old g4 pb to my new macbook

does anyone have any idea what is going on, and how I might fix this?

thanks in advance :):confused:

2. Jolly Jimmy macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

The problem is that the desktop counts as a window for some reason. I find it annoying too but that's just the way it is unfortunately.

3. tonewave thread starter macrumors newbie

arggh! you mean its like that for everyone?
    I could've sworn I remembered a time when my g4 didn't do it
    hmmm....

4. toxicjelly macrumors newbie

I have this same issue, though, I'm pretty sure it's not considering the desktop as a window.
    Going into Exposè, you'll notice that however many windows you have in that Space (if Spaces activated) are all pushed to one side, usually the right side, rather than being evenly spaced like Exposè usually arranges the windows. If you look really carefully, you'll see a 1x1 white pixel on the grey-tinted background of Exposè. That's the phantom window. The only way I've been able to get rid of it is to very carefully click on it when in Exposè, then hit Command+W. Sometimes that doesn't work, and then I go back into Exposè, click on it again, and try Command+Q and that'll do the trick when Command+W doesn't work.

Aside from that method of getting rid of it, I have no other info as to what it is, why it's there, or a permanent solution.

5. tonewave thread starter macrumors newbie

wow that sounds so wierd, and strangely.... fun

alas I'm using Lion now, so now exposé is now kind of absorbed into MC
    so its all different now

still I had a look and no white dot...

6. apollonia macrumors newbie

similar problem, found a solution.....

my 'phantom' finder window showed up briefly whenever i would Cmd-=> to another desktop, then promptly disappeared. i could see it in the windows list, but it never showed.

if you 'right click' the finder icon in the dock, there is a choice for 'show all'. that made them show up, but i couldn't click or show them.... they simply dissappeared when i tried.

but if i 'right click' and chose 'options=>this desktop' then voila! there they were and i could close them.

i believe that the issue arises when upgrading to lion, because the desktops are handled differently, and somehow the os thinks this window is attached to a desktop that doesn't exist.