"Phantom" images in Contacts.app

Discussion in 'OS X Yosemite (10.10)' started by soundsgoodtome, Aug 19, 2014.

1. soundsgoodtome macrumors regular

soundsgoodtome

I'm loving Yosemite, but this one deal with Contacts.app has me stumped:

I regularly assign images in Contacts.app to people with whom I exchange a lot of email. When email has no image, I add the address to Contacts, find an image on the web, drag it into the contact card, and the image instantly appears in Mail.app.

But here's the thing:

In Yosemite, after adding a new email address to Contacts.app, sometimes an image of the person appears inside the circular image field automatically -- before I've located and added one. I have no idea where those images are coming from.

Now, this would be a good thing (less work for me) if those images also showed up in Mail.app, but they don't. Furthermore, when I click on "Edit" to edit the "phantom" image, the image disappears — as if there were no image there to begin with. But when I dismiss the edit window, the "phantom" image reappears. (And yes, the images do match the persons. So, clearly the images are being pulled from some sort of valid source.)

I'm not sure if this is a new feature that's simply not yet fully baked, or what… Clearly, Contacts.app is finding these images somewhere, but despite finding them, it's not properly pushing the images to other apps, like Mail.app.

Has anyone else observed this?

2. joedec macrumors 6502

joedec

That's been around for a while, same on 10.9, at least the image getting migrated from another application. I don't know about the editing part, but if you have a Facebook or Google account that has access to Contacts that's the source I've noticed. Check System Preferences/Internet Accounts

3. soundsgoodtome thread starter macrumors regular

soundsgoodtome

Thanks for the reply. Well, we've definitely had different experiences, because I had 5 Macs running Mavericks and never saw this happen even once. Then I installed Yosemite on this one machine, and this is the only one on which it happens. :)

I'll check Internet Accounts.

Thanks again.

4. Takuro macrumors 6502

Takuro

5. soundsgoodtome thread starter macrumors regular

soundsgoodtome

Good to know. With that in mind, I'm going to submit a bug report, as those images should also appear in Mail.app, but are not doing so.

Thanks!