Phantom memory hoggage in Mavericks?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by kirkbross, Nov 23, 2013.

1. kirkbross macrumors 6502a

kirkbross

I'm having an issue in Mavericks where my mouse periodically freezes for around 20 seconds, then comes back and everything is fine. It was also happening in the last Mountain Lion update. I have a 2008 Mac Pro with 8 GB of RAM, running Mavericks on a 120GB Vertex 2 SSD.

Being an experienced PC builder and professional web developer, this lag reminds me of system latency due to memory clips.

I took a screen shot of my memory activity... is it odd that 6.72 GB of RAM are "in use" with only Activity Monitor open? When I look at the individual using in the app list, none of the tasks are using an inordinate amount of RAM.

What do you think is going on?

Attached Files:

2. xspicer89x macrumors member

THIS IS ENTIRELY NORMAL ON MAVERICKS. memory mangement has changed with the new OS...now the OS uses the ram more efficiently (even if it just piles a bunch of file cache). There is no point in having a bunch of ram unless ur OS is going to use it (free ram is wasted ram), and seeing as how ram is much faster than accessing the HD, why not use it? For example, prior to installing mavericks i rarely ever came close to maxing out my 16gb ram, however now with mavericks I often find my system with nearly all the ram in use; and my system flies without any lag ever...never seen a beachball on mavericks.

The only time u should start worrying about ur ram now on mavericks is if the memory pressure bar in activity monitor is something other than green, and if ur system is using lots of "SWAP" memory (because then it is accessing the HD).

As for your "mouse freezes" im not to sure. what kind of mouse are you using? not the trackpad? if you saw the probem in mountain lion chances are there is some setting buggin out ur system, or perhaps the mouse

3. drew627 macrumors regular

The memory thing is normal. It's how OS X manages available memory now. You can read up on it through Google. It definitely isn't the culprit causing your problem.

Did you try a permissions repair? Creating a new user account might help as well.

4. 8CoreWhore, Nov 23, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2013

8CoreWhore macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore