Phantom Messages Notification Bubble

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lordofthereef, Nov 14, 2014.

1. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I am baffled by this issue my mom's 5S is having. It always shows a minimum of 5 unread messages in notifications for her messages app.

I have tried clearing notification center

I have tried deleting all of her messages threads (both sms/mms adnd imessage)

I have tried turning off notifications for a 24 hour period of time and then enabling them again (a potential fix I read). Nothing seems to help.

Ideas?

2. bjb.butler macrumors 6502a

bjb.butler

Factory Restore or Reset All Settings. And set up as new phone

3. JT2002TJ macrumors 6502a

Ive had this before. What solved it was deleting all messages, closing messaging app, turning data/wifi off then restarting the phone. I think it was an issue with not getting a text (not an imessage). Another option is to do all that then sync with itunes to see if that fixes it.

4. lordofthereef thread starter macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Tha's kind of my last resort option. :(

----------

I will give this a go

5. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

I had this issue but it ended up just being a notification deep within my iPhone that I didn't see...Syncing with iTunes always seamed to knock down notifications too but I havent done it in a while.

LOL I love when people say that. Like seriously wtf?! That's like saying, your cars radio isn't working, burn the entire thing to the ground and get a new one.

6. lordofthereef thread starter macrumors G5

lordofthereef

So, she's enver actually synced with iTunes. She always just does iCloud backups. Are you suggesting restoring from a backup? Or actually setting it up to sync to itunes for the sake of attempting to solve the issue?

7. lordofthereef thread starter macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Just to put the thread to bed...

I backed up to icloud, wiped the phone, updated to 8.1.1 (it didn;t have enough space to do so otherwise), restored from iCloud, and the notifications fixed themselves. There was a text thread (sent by me) that wasn't viewable before I did all of this. I could see the actual thread with five unread messages posts restore and I just deleted it.

Strange bug, to say the least.