Phantom Network Usage

Discussion in 'macOS' started by craigb6, May 14, 2010.

1. craigb6 macrumors newbie

Hello,

Recently (over the past 3-4 months) I have noticed that my MacBook (10.5.8) has been downloading 'stuff' when nothing should be downloading. I have iStat Pro installed and can clearly see 150-200kB/s being downloaded. When I close all the open programs the network usage does not reduce at all. A restart does not stop this behaviour either.

The only thing that I had found that can stop it is unplugging the ethernet cable (how I normally get the internet) and connecting to the network via WiFi. I have even tried using Activity Monitor to try and find what processes are downloading the data but to no avail, as it seems like lots of different processes are 'receiving messages'. More puzzling is that this does not always happen, and if I do not look at iStat Pro I would not even know it is happening.

The reason why it is important is that the network through which I am connected to the internet imposes a 5GB upload and download bandwidth usage limit. This may seem like a lot but I use Skype, video streaming sites, photo sharing sites and internet backup so I need to make sure that I do not go over the limit.

Does anyone know how I could go about finding what is going on? Thank you in advance!

2. skripp macrumors newbie

Wireshark. Can be a bit overwhelming at first, but you'll figure it out.