Phantom Skinz iPad 2??

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by EPiD3MiK, Mar 20, 2011.

1. EPiD3MiK macrumors newbie

Anybody order one yet and have pictures?

I'm sorry if this is redundant post, but I've searched the zagg and ghost armor post and keep hearing about phantom skinz.

I've purchased both bodyguardz and zaggs countless times since the original iPhone came out and idk why BUT I ALWAYS get sucked into buying thier products -- and I ALWAYS end up hating the feel and look of them after like 3 days of normal use, you get those crusty corners and everything starts peeling back. Not to mention the way the screen looks if you put the front film on.

I kept reading that Phantom Skinz uses a different less "tacky" feeling material than zagg, if you have one and have purchased zagg in the past let me know if it's really any different.

Thanks

2. JeffMorse macrumors regular

I've had phantomskinz on my last 2 phones and can't recommend them more highly. Even the installer at Best Buy who had never seen one before commented how much better it was than the Zagg stuff they carry.

Another great option is PowersupportUSA's anti-glare film for the screen. Really nice product, but not cheap.

3. jjk454ss macrumors 601

jjk454ss

I just ordered a back protector from them. Code spring20 will save you 20%.

4. EPiD3MiK thread starter macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Sweet just ordered, still couldnt find any photos, but hope the reviews hold up and the coverage is as good as best skins ever.

From the pics I found of BSE, I really liked how the corners wrapped around.

5. newskin macrumors 6502

If you ordered the matte skin then you'll be happy with it. Ive had zagg, bse, and i think power support. Phantom skinz matte definitely comes out on top. The feel is less tacky than zagg but still has a grip to it. I like how it gives it a hazy look. There is a review on here that shows exactly what im describing but its for the iphone 4. Just search it.

6. icecrystal23 macrumors 6502

I got the PhantomSkinz matte back on my iPad 2. I love the look and texture; so far the only issue is I am having trouble getting the corners to stick all the way. I will try and get pictures up later.

I wouldn't say installation was easy, but it wasn't too difficult, either. I prefer dry installations.

7. Xultar macrumors 6502a

Xultar

They all come with the apple logo cut out?

I don't understand that. I want the whole back covered. Including the logo. I would think that especially on all of the see thru skins they wouldn't bother cutting out the logo.:confused:

8. jedolley macrumors 68000

I think only their "Chromatics" line comes with the Apple logo cut-out. I had their regular protector last year and there was no cut-out for the logo.

9. icecrystal23 macrumors 6502

Correct. The clear / matte protectors do not have cutouts for the Apple logo.

10. Xultar macrumors 6502a

Xultar

Thanks. I think I will look @ purchasing one since Wrapsol doesn't quite have their act together.

11. Apple Expert macrumors 65816

I'll post some pictures. I have it on both my white and black iPad 2.

12. EPiD3MiK thread starter macrumors newbie

Sweet can't wait

Does anyone know if the antiglare actually work outside? I purchased another brand last year for iPad 1 and I still couldn't read/view websites if it was sunny out. The protector just made the text blurry everything hazy

13. icecrystal23 macrumors 6502

Photos :)

Overall, you can barely tell that there's anything on the iPad. Except that I can't get the corners to lay flat longer than about 15 seconds. Any tips on making them prettier?

Attached Files:

14. newskin macrumors 6502

Looks good! I've heard some people say they used a hair dryer on low setting to make the corners stick a little better. Btw, are these a wet install? I cant remember from when i did my iphone 4.

15. icecrystal23 macrumors 6502

Yes, it is wet install. I might try the hair dryer later tonight.

16. EPiD3MiK thread starter macrumors newbie

Looks good, how does it feel? Anything like zagg?

I would try a hair dryer for the corners for sure... It's always worked, but as soon as I applied, hopefully it hasn't been too long

17. phantomsd macrumors 6502

phantomsd

I LOVE how their skin completely surrounds the volume rocker, sleep/wake, and speaker areas... not just open cutouts. Haven't seen that yet... might be in for one.

Hopefully their matte skins are like Wrapsols... great look and texture.

18. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

How does the back protector feel? I hate the way Zagg's are sticky and want something that is nice and smooth. Does the screen protector feel the same as the back?

19. icecrystal23 macrumors 6502

The matte back is very smooth. Not sticky at all like the Zagg ones.

20. jedolley macrumors 68000

Phantomskinz's regular skin is very smooth, even more than adequate to use on a touch screen. Definitely not tacky or sticky like the Zagg. I'm not sure why there is such a huge difference in feel, but on Phantomskinz site they state they add a clear coat to their skin.

21. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

Does anyone know how phantom skinz compare to bodyguardz? I ordered bodyguardz today. I hope they are smooth and not tacky.

22. icecrystal23 macrumors 6502

So, I exchanged my iPad 2 yesterday because the plastic around the bezel was coming unglued.

PhantomSkinz is sending me a replacement back skin (awesome!) and I get a 2nd chance at getting the corners nice.

I'm wondering if I should just cut out those tabs to avoid the issue altogether? The guy at the Apple store asked if I had used heat to apply the skin, as that could have caused the issue with the glue around the bezel. I'm pretty sure I had the issue before trying the hair dryer, but either way I think I'd like to avoid any heat for this process.

Does anyone have alternative suggestions for installing the corners well or am I better off cutting off the tabs before installation?

23. dogbiskit2 macrumors member

I ended up using the meaty part of my palm to press on the corners when the adhesive was dry/tacky enough. That way, it would do a better job conforming to the curve. I did a couple rounds of about a minute per corner. Then after letting it dry for a few hours, there was still some slight puckering at the slits, so I used a sharp exacto knife to slice off the raised bits then pressed those down. Hope that helps!

24. NDDL05 macrumors member

I'm interested to see how your next install goes. From the pictures it almost looked as though the screen wasn't cut properly. I want a matte back, but not at the cost of corners that won't stay down.

25. icecrystal23 macrumors 6502

When I got the new PhantomSkinz, I cut off the little tabs in the corners before installing. I totally flubbed the rest of the install, though (lots of bubbles). It was so bad I risked peeling it off and re-installing. Fortunately I think that worked out okay. I got all the corners to lay pretty flat and left it to dry.

When I get home from work I'll update with status and pics.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]