Phew!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by davids8477, Feb 14, 2011.

1. davids8477 macrumors 6502

Well I just dodged the bullet!

This evening I spilled a 1/2 glass of Rum and Coke on my running Macbok Pro.

IMMEDIATELY I powered it down and removed the battery.

Then spent the next hour heating it with a high powered hair dryer.

Left if for 1/2 hour and re-inserted the battery.

It powered on and I am writing this post on it.

Phew - maybe - I really wanted a new MBP :)))) :D

2. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

I think you might have jumped the gun. Report back to us if it's still working in a few days. Idk how much you spilled, but it could cause a short anywhere at anytime.

3. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Haha. You've seen the light (your display), now wait for the magic (smoke, poping, crackles).

Surprised it's still functioning after only 2 hours. You are definitely lucky. I would've left it for atleast 3 days (in rice).

4. CompanionCube macrumors regular

CompanionCube

I am amazed at the frequency with which people spill drinks on their MacBook Pros. Amazes me.

5. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

For true. It's gotta be, what, 3-4 times a week now? Atleast?

6. leftywamumonkey macrumors 6502a

leftywamumonkey

Ouch, now when he needs a repair the geniuses are going to tell him it is due to water damage.

7. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

If you have Applecare, now would be a good time to apply for a refund.
    It`ll be voided if there`s any indication of a spill.

8. DarkVinda macrumors regular

DarkVinda

i'd cry myself to sleep if i spilt a drink on mine - but i know not to try turn it on for at least a week and leave it in a bag of rice :D

9. davids8477 thread starter macrumors 6502

First of all thanks for everyone's "sympathy" :)

Actually the hair dryer approach is not so dumb.

The rice method works because the rice lowers the humidity of the surrounding air. This speeds up the evaporation of the spilled liquid.

Since the MBP case is aluminum heating that will transfer the heat to the inside of the of the computer. The heat will lower the relative humidity and thus speed up the evaporation - the same effect as the rice (or silica gel etc).

In either case there is still the risk of residue left behind - resulting in stick keys etc - so far not seen on my machine.

As for the amount of liquid spilled - it was about 2 ozs and I immediately flipped the MBP so the the keyboard was facing down - to allow drainage - and at the same time powered down and removed the battery. This last process taking about 5 seconds max.

It booted up fine this morning so I think that's a good sign that I evaporated the liquid. I agree that only time will tell and each day will be an adventure for the next week. Just part of life's great adventure.

10. Pentad macrumors 6502a

Pentad

I would have to agree. I never drink or eat anywhere near my MBP. I know accidents happen but it seems many people here treat their MBPs like TV Trays. :eek:

11. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

The very nature of a laptop means that most are exposed to more risks than a desktop typically would be.
    I always try to be careful about my surroundings when I use mine but, ****** happens sometimes.

Anyway OP, looks like you dodged the bullet this time but, like I said, your warranty may well be shot.

12. davids8477 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes - still working fine. Its a 2006 so even my Applecare is exhausted.

13. Politis macrumors regular

vacuum cleaner

I did it on my old pc and used the nozzle of my vacuum cleaner to suck up the liquid. Nothing went through
    Which part of the laptop did you direct the heat from the hair drier? On the exposed back?

14. davids8477 thread starter macrumors 6502

I lay the open MPB with the screen flat of the kitchen counter and then used the hair drier all over the back and the keyboard side until the Aluminum was hot to the touch. Left it for a while and repeated several times.

I also blew hot air into the various ports an pushed open the PCI "gate" to ensure that air went into there also.

So far so good :)