Phil Schiller Acknowledges New App Store Sexual Content Ban and Exceptions

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The NY Times reports on Apple's new policy blocking overtly sexual apps. Apple's head of worldwide product marketing Phil Schiller explained the reasoning behind the decision, citing an increasing number of apps with objectionable content:"It came to the point where we were getting customer complaints from women who found the content getting too degrading and objectionable, as well as parents who were upset with what their kids were able to see," Mr. Schiller said.When asked about the needs of the developers who were affected by the policy shift, Schiller said that while they cared about developers, in the end "have to put then needs of the kids and parents first". Analysts suspect the upcoming iPad was in part a reason for the policy change. The iPad is expected to be popular amongst families and schools which could object to such applications.

Schiller does explain that well established brands are given a pass such as Sports Illustrated's Swimsuit app or Playboy's app:"The difference is this is a well-known company with previously published material available broadly in a well-accepted format"

Article Link: Phil Schiller Acknowledges New App Store Sexual Content Ban and Exceptions

ShiftyPig

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2008
AU
I fully support Apple doing this. It isn't censorship, it's choosing what they want to offer in their store.

If you want boobs on an iPhone, use Safari. Plus, anything to help filter all the untold crap out of the App Store is a blessing.

Full of Win

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2007
Ask Apple
I bet there is one app that he will not be banning any time soon.... cookbook apps.

Oh, and if women don't like them, don't look or buy them. I don't use the apps myself, but if I want too, provided the images don't have under-age children, then its my privilege. Too bad you are offended, if you are, don't look.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
If you want boobs on an iPhone, use Safari
How long until we se "parents who were upset with what their kids were able to see" with Safari?

Giving a child unfettered access to the internet on a portable device is a danger far worse than these apps.

iObama

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2008
While I do agree with the apps they've removed, the problem for me is the removal of anything period. Just leave it alone.

skellener

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2003
So. Cal.
I thought this was the whole point of ratings?...For parents to set what their kids can and cannot have access to. I mean, why remove apps if you have ratings and ratings control in place in iTunes already? R rated movies, explicit television shows and songs with explicit lyrics are all available on the iTunes store. Is Apple going to remove those too? Why are apps singled out while other forms of content aren't?

Apple this is a losing battle. You need to get out of the content approval business and judge apps solely on whether or not they contain malware, cause your iPhone to crash or give out personal data without the user knowing. Other than that, you really should not be determining what adults can or cannot purchase. You have ratings and ratings controls in place. It's up to parents to decide whether to use them or not. Don't restrict adults from purchasing whatever products they want in the app store.

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
They very easily could create a separate section for adult content. Those Apps don't have to mix with the regular apps at all.

They're losing money by banning these apps......

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
I thought this was the whole point of ratings?...For parents to set what their kids can and cannot have access to. I mean, why remove apps if you have ratings and ratings control in place in iTunes already? R rated movies, explicit television shows and songs with explicit lyrics are all available on the iTunes store. Is Apple going to remove those too? Why are apps singled out while other forms of content aren't?

Apple this is a losing battle. You need to get out of the content approval business and judge apps solely on whether or not they contain malware, cause your iPhone to crash or give out personal data without the user knowing. Other than that, you really should not be determining what adults can or cannot purchase. You have ratings and ratings controls in place. It's up to parents to decide whether to use them or not. Don't restrict adults from purchasing whatever products they want in the app store.
Apple can do whatever they wish with the app store. They made it and control it. It's not a debate about free speech. It's a store. A very popular store. Any store can choose what they want to put in it.
If people don't like it there are alternatives.

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
I'm sorry, but that's complete ********. FIrstly, PlayBoy and Sports Illustrated getting a pass because they also market other stuff? Puh-leeze, what kind of logic is that?

And oooh won't anyone think of the poor parents and oh-so-traumatized kidz?

Apparently they never heard of the age filter, then.

jo0

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2009
Seattle, WA
i gotta say i was a bit iffy when it came to agreeing with apple on this one at first, but after thinking/reading about it more i don't think i could agree more with the reasoning they gave.

dejo

Staff member
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
My problem is that the removal email from Apple says "We have decided to remove any overtly sexual content from the App Store" when in fact they don't mean any, they only mean most. It's their store; they can run it the way they want but they need to be more honest, open, oh, and yeah, consistent with the developers about what they are doing.

jo0

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2009
Seattle, WA
I agree with his statement. It's very understandable

I hate how people are thinking they are trying to control the app store.
they are controlling the app store. which is good and it belongs to them so they should control it. its the reason apples app store isn't running as rampant with crapps like the android market.

Metatron

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2002
I disagree with the route taken. You can not leave "well established" brands while removing those that have yet to establish themselves. Apple needs to provide an adult section with the proper security measures instead of trying to use such a lame excuse.

angelneo

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2004
afk
It's double standard when playboy and other big names get a free pass. Although ultimately they have a right to control whatever goes up on App store, it leaves a very bad impression with developers. Furthermore, it doesn't solve the clutter that is already in App store.

djellison

macrumors 68020
Feb 2, 2007
Pasadena CA
If the rating system actually worked, this wouldn't be necessary. However, when a planetay science education app gets an adult rating because it pulls on info fro wikipwdia- there's something totally screwed up.

It seems you can be a write perv-apps, but only if you're renown for being pervy. That's no kind of logic at all. This is selective censorship to combat an appaulingly thought out and implimented ratings system.

Uragon

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2002
Apple is about Productivity not about reProductivity.

Apple realized that their staff were taking a long time reviewing these apps, those causing long approval for the other apps, also, too many bathroom breaks....

brygruver

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2007
Apple can do whatever they wish with the app store. They made it and control it. It's not a debate about free speech. It's a store. A very popular store. Any store can choose what they want to put in it.
If people don't like it there are alternatives.
WONDERFUL Point and the best perspective I've seen on the app store.

Apple's Store. Apple's choice of what to allow in the store. Just like Walmart or any other store.

If you don't like it, don't buy an iPhone.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
they are controlling the app store. which is good and it belongs to them so they should control it. its the reason apples app store isn't running as rampant with crapps like the android market.
Gotta agre with this. I currently have:
AnyRSS Reader, Armoured Strike, Battle for Mars, Camera Zoom FX, Centos, Compass, Google Earth, FlickrDroid, Gameboid (GBA Emulator), Gensoid (Genesis Emulator), Google Sky Map, Last.fm (with live scrobbling support), Google Listen, MAhjong 3D, NESOID (NES Eulator), SNESoid (SNES Emulator), Opera Mini, Photoshop, Robo Defense, Seesmic twitter app, Shazam, Shoot u physics, Google Shopper, Speedx3D, Taskiller, Tower Raiders, Vegas Pool, WaveSecure and Wordpress.

All from the Android Market which is "rampant" with crapps at 20,000 but the App Store is full of top grade apps at over 100,000.

Logic has no place here. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.