Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

appstore.png
Apple's senior vice president of worldwide marketing Phil Schiller today tweeted out that November 2016 had "the highest monthly sales ever in App Store history." Schiller didn't offer any specific numbers in regards to the company's record-breaking month.

Earlier in January, Apple announced that customers spent $1.1 billion on apps and in-app purchases in just two weeks over the holiday season.

November 2016 was a record breaker for the #AppStore - the highest monthly sales ever in App Store history! - Philip Schiller (@pschiller) December 7, 2016
The news comes after Apple updated its various storefronts, including the App Store, iBooks Store, and iTunes Store, with all of the company's Best of 2016 lists. Apple also gave out designated App of the Year and Game of the Year rewards for the iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, Apple Watch, and Mac. Some of the more notable apps mentioned were Prisma, Clash Royale, Life is Strange, and MySwimPro.

Article Link: Phil Schiller Says November 2016 Had the 'Highest Monthly Sales Ever in App Store History'

Bryan Bowler

macrumors 68040
Sep 27, 2008
In excess of a billion dollars in sales for the month of November? Very, very impressive!

ILuvEggplant

Suspended
Jul 28, 2016
Los Angeles, CA
what's with apple's vagueness?

Tell us how much that is!

"We sold so many apple watches!" How many?!

What do they tell their investors regarding iphone sales next quarter? "we sold a lot!"

truthertech

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2016
Man, this is shaping up to be a very depressing holiday period for the Apple haters. Record breaking sales of the new MacBooks; record breaking sales of the Apple Watch, and now record breaking App store sales. Not to mention Apple Pay reaching 75% of all US transactions, the iPhone reaching 90 plus percent of the entire cell phone industry profits and on pace to sell close to 80 million phones this quarter!

Don't give up though. Get out from under the bed and get back to trolling. Remember how therapeutic it feels! In case you've lost the notes, in the holiday spirit I've reproduced a few of the main ones you need for effective Apple trolling:

• "It's time for Tim Cook to go!"
  • "All Apple cares about are emojis!"
  • "Everybody I know is switching to Android"
  • "Quit giving us gimmicks like the _________ when are we getting a new MacPro?"
  • "The new ______ is the (computer, display, router, music store, paper clip, etc.) Apple should have made!"
  • "Apple is just doing this to sell dongles!"
  • "This just shows Apple's delusional fanboys will buy anything"
  • "This is all about Jony Ive's obsession with thinness!"
and, of course, when you can't compose a coherent thought, but still want to respond to any topic, remember the reliable quick grenade for any social media situation: "Courage"

March on team, and remember Winston Churchill's famous words -- "Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy!"

Last edited:

Nefilim

Suspended
Oct 2, 2016
Good for Apple and their ecosystem. I've slowed down quite a bit with app purchases but I've also kind of lost interest in playing on my idevices lately.

truthertech

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2016
Perfect for Apple. Money comes in without their having to build anything.

Remember that most of that money goes to developers, large and small. Thanks to the App store that Apple built with its billions of dollars and hard work and talent of its employees, developers have garnered about $60 billion dollars so far. Think of that amazing statistic and the impact it has had on people and their families. But for Apple building the fantastically successful iPhone and iPad, and the terrific iOS, and great App store, the hundreds of thousands of developers throughout the world wouldn't have this opportunity to impact the world from whereever they live and make this money with their hard work and talent. It's a beautiful marriage that we should celebrate during this holiday period.

Merry Christmas to all

turbineseaplane

macrumors G3
Mar 19, 2008
Everything Apple actually talks about is always "the best/most/greatest/fastest/successful EVER!"

The only way to know what isn't "amaze-balls" is to simply look at what they never talk about.

Reactions: H2SO4 and simonmet

melendezest

Suspended
Jan 28, 2010
Existing Apple customers are still buying. So no surprise there. I wonder how much more was spent. It's his job to put out this pointless info and make the company "look good".

Talk to me in a year or two, especially if there is no change in current product trajectory. It just seems to me like this is more hot air blown into the bubble.

HowEver

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2005
Toronto
Thanks.

I was about to post how worthless the haters made these threads these days. You saved a thread.

Man, this is shaping up to be a very depressing holiday period for the Apple haters. Record breaking sales of the new MacBooks; record breaking sales of the Apple Watch, and now record breaking App store sales. Not to mention Apple Pay reaching 75% of all US transactions, the iPhone reaching 90 plus percent of the entire cell phone industry profits and on pace to sell close to 80 million phones this quarter!

Don't give up though. Get out from under the bed and get back to trolling. Remember how therapeutic it feels! In case you've lost the notes, in the holiday spirit I've reproduced a few of the main ones you need for effective Apple trolling:

• "It's time for Tim Cook to go!"
  • "All Apple cares about are emojis!"
  • "Everybody I know is switching to Android"
  • "Quit giving us gimmicks like the _________ when are we getting a new MacPro?"
  • "The new ______ is the (computer, display, router, music store, paper clip, etc.) Apple should have made!"
  • "Apple is just doing this to sell dongles!"
  • "This just shows Apple's delusional fanboys will buy anything"
  • "This is all about Jony Ive's obsession with thinness!"
and, of course, when you can't compose a coherent thought, but still want to respond to any topic, remember the reliable quick grenade for any social media situation: "Courage"

March on team, and remember Winston Churchill's famous words -- "Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy!"

bjjp2

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2005
Remember that most of that money goes to developers, large and small. Thanks to the App store that Apple built with its billions of dollars and hard work and talent of its employees, developers have garnered about $60 billion dollars so far. Think of that amazing statistic and the impact it has had on people and their families. But for Apple building the fantastically successful iPhone and iPad, and the terrific iOS, and great App store, the hundreds of thousands of developers throughout the world wouldn't have this opportunity to impact the world from whereever they live and make this money with their hard work and talent. It's a beautiful marriage that we should celebrate during this holiday period.

Merry Christmas to all

They obviously built the ecosystem and get enormous credit for that. My post was simply to point out that they are increasingly favoring revenue streams like this that don't require as much R&D and overhead as building hardware.

truthertech

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2016
They obviously built the ecosystem and get enormous credit for that. My post was simply to point out that they are increasingly favoring revenue streams like this that don't require as much R&D and overhead as building hardware.

OK, understand that, but you do realize that Apple has been on a huge accelerating R and D push for the past few years and is now spending more on R and D than but a handful of companies in the world, over $10 billion per year. That tells me that they continue to massively prepare for the future and have a bunch of great products in the pipeline as tens of thousands of engineers with tens of billions of dollars are undoubtedly working on some pretty cool things other than emojis:)

bjjp2

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2005
OK, understand that, but you do realize that Apple has been on a huge accelerating R and D push for the past few years and is now spending more on R and D than but a handful of companies in the world, over $10 billion per year. That tells me that they continue to massively prepare for the future and have a bunch of great products in the pipeline as tens of thousands of engineers with tens of billions of dollars are undoubtedly working on some pretty cool things other than emojis:)

I hope you're right but the recent dropping of the popular and critically acclaimed Airport products is a very bad harbinger for me of where they're headed. I don't think they want to be in the computer business. They want to be a services and consumer goods company.

GrumpyMom

macrumors G4
Sep 11, 2014
I hope you're right but the recent dropping of the popular and critically acclaimed Airport products is a very bad harbinger for me of where they're headed. I don't think they want to be in the computer business. They want to be a services and consumer goods company.
You both make good points. It's really hard to be in the peanut gallery where I'm sitting and make sense of Apple right now. As a customer I've not been thrilled with them lately and have moved away onto other products. But I think they aren't as horrible as some people make them out to be on this forum. Right now it's a huge ball of "meh" but the future could go either way. But there's no denying they invested an enormous amount into R&D.

Neepman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2008
Such a sad ,sad company in 2016.
I have a sell order on my stock when the year-end suckers hopefully take it to 120 and I am OUT.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.