Philadelphia 3G service

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by reckless2k2, Aug 25, 2008.

1. reckless2k2 macrumors 6502a

I haven't experienced the call drop issues because I actually don't use the phone feature that much but I do us the data quite a bit.

I've been running on EDGE forever on my new 3G because 3G is terrible. I live north of Philly near Langhorne. I was in Philly for the game on Saturday and had full bars for 3G but nothing would load. I reset network settings and rebooted the phone on more than one occasion with no luck. I flipped to EDGE and it worked fine. I have the same issue at home. In the Oxford Valley Mall area I get full 3G bars but so much lag nothing loads. I flip to EDGE and it works fine. In my house though a few miles away, I might have 1 bar on 3G and pages load FAST!!!

I'm starting to think the problem is AT&T and not Apple. If I'm fine in some areas and can't do anything in densely populated 3G areas, the problem is AT&T. So much for that law suit. Try suing AT&T for charging more for a network you can't even get on.

2. Switz213 macrumors 6502

I was at the game yesterday and the 3G was full. It does seem to not load as quickly as I would expect sometimes, but other times it does.

Go Phils.

3. wrestlepsu99 macrumors newbie

I'm in Lancaster and 3G is relatively new. But, Lancaster isn't Philly, but from what I understand, the specific problem is hard to isolate, because it varies from phone to phone. Which makes me wonder....is all the iPhone 3G hardware the same?

4. FaustArp macrumors regular

FaustArp

I get full service and 3g at my apartment in center city. But when I am in Germantown my service sucks and I get edge.

5. reckless2k2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah it was pretty embarrassing trying to show it off to friends in a full bars 3G area but the page loading was super slow. Slower than EDGE and I can confirm it because switching to EDGE it loaded faster than 3G. Yeah I certainly don't think that's supposed to be the case.

It sounds to me like AT&T just can't handle the load on their network in key areas. If you were moving slow and I wasn't getting it a page at all on 3G, who was getting through? Haha. Again, once I flipped to EDGE I was fine. If I wasn't going to get 3G speeds, I would've kept my 2G iPhone.

6. iViet macrumors member

i thought it was only me. i also get full 3g bars and sometimes, when surfing the web, the page won't load up and i'll get a server error message. turn it back to edge and it works fine. it's weird how sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't!:mad:

7. AnalyzeThis macrumors 6502

Try to change the SIM card

Stop by Apple or ATT store and ask to replace your SIM card.
    It helped me to get 3G internet working.

8. reckless2k2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I wish it were that simple. I have been through 2 iPhones and about 5 SIM cards. Apparently, I'm not the only one.

9. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

It's not the phones. The tests that have come out this week seem to pretty resoundingly lean in that direction. It IS the network.

Unfortunately, huge conventions/sporting events/places where a huge crowd is are probably the worst places to show off these things, because there's guaranteed congestion because EVERYONE is trying to make calls and check their e-mail and surf the web.

10. thirdeyeopen666 macrumors 6502

thirdeyeopen666

I'm in Conshohocken and my service is spotty at best (non-existant in my home)... in Norristown, and a few other nearby areas, I get full bars, but no data will load. My sister lives in the Fishtown section of Philly and in her neighborhood, I get full bars and fantastic transfer rates consistently. Funny enough, when I was in the Apple Store in Suburban Square (Ardmore) I had the full bars/no data issue.