Philips 30" HDTV (Tube) for $270

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by corywoolf, May 6, 2007.

1. corywoolf macrumors 65816

corywoolf

So I have wanted a HDTV for a while now. Now that I am getting an Xbox 360 Elite, I wanted to get an HDTV to take advantage of it. I may also use it with FCP in the future (when I can afford an HD video camera). I was shocked that this one has HDMI and component for the price. I plan on buying the HD DVD player attachment to go along with the 360. Eventually I may get an AppleTV, but if I use the TV as a reference monitor for color correction, it will be close to my computer which sort of takes away the point of the AppleTV. Anyways, what do you guys/gals think of this TV? Philips is normally a great brand to go with on TVs. I wanted to get a Tube TV because of the price and because they have deeper blacks then LCDs and even some Plasmas. This is a refurb, but I really don't mind.

Link to TV

Edit: Oh and I get the lower price because of the $80 promo code

2. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

I have the same type of hdtv, but it's a 35 incher. You can't beat a tube hdtv in price and performance. The only downside is that it's bulkier than a plasma or lcd. But the picture quality is much better than either one. That said, one other disadvantage to this model is that it doesn't support 1080p which is the optimum for hd-dvd, but for the price you're getting, it's worth it.

3. corywoolf thread starter macrumors 65816

corywoolf

Thanks for the reassurance, I ordered it on my new credit card. Can't wait to hook a Xbox 360 up to it. I can't find a 1080p TV for under $1000 that's any good. This will still do 1080i, which is pretty good looking. I will probably just use 720p for gaming though, because of the smoother playback.

4. BKKloppenborg macrumors regular

Um i hope you know that Most CRT HDTVs can't do 720P, only 480i/480P/1080i

I have the Silver one thats already sold out, and it DOES NOT do 720P. From what i have heard 720P is to fast for CRT HDTVs to keep up.