Philips Hue App Expands to iPad, Gains New 3D Touch Features

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Philips today updated its Hue app, used to control its line of Philips Hue lights, to version 2.6.0. The update adds long-awaited support for the iPad, allowing iPad users to access their lights from an iPad-optimized app for the first time.

The iPad version of the Philips Hue app features the same general design and controls that were introduced when Philips revamped the Hue app back in April.

For iPhone users with a 3D Touch-enabled device, the new version of the app also adds improved iOS 10 support and new 3D Touch options. When you press on the Hue app icon, you'll now get access to the Widget options you've established in the app.

Scene editing has been improved, making it possible to edit custom scenes with and without a picture, and the update includes bug fixes and stability improvements.
What's New
- Added iPad support
- Improved iOS 10 support, you can now 3D Touch the app icon to quickly access your widgets
- Improved scene edit, now you can also edit your custom scenes both with and without a picture
- Bug fixes and stability improvements
The Philips Hue app can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Philips Hue App Expands to iPad, Gains New 3D Touch Features

macduke

macrumors G4
Jun 27, 2007
Central U.S.
Hah, I completely forgot about the 3D Touch iOS 10 feature that lets devs put in more functionality and then tap to add it as a widget. Goes to show how often I use 3D Touch, lol. I just tried in a bunch of apps and was surprised to see there were several using this functionality already, although 3D Touch support on a basic level is still so hit or miss.

Maybe someday I'll be able to afford these Hue lights. The main problem is that my wife knows how much they cost if I ever buy them. Also many of our lights are in fans and have small bulbs.

Reactions: 0958400

allenvanhellen

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2015
I bought the Hue lights 3 years ago, and by now I expected a lot more logic to their app. For example, I want the lights to turn off and back on when I leave and come home, but I can set this up for only one scene for each action. So whether I come back home at noon or midnight, the lights can only come on to the same brightness and color setting (for example, full power). Another issue is that some functionality has actually been reduced. For example, with the first app, scenes could be saved as timers with fades. So if I wanted my lights to dim down over 10 minutes before dinner or a movie, I could just go to the app (pre-widgets) and press the scene (saved with a 10-minute fade). The newer apps have taken this away, requiring us to manually set a timer or to make a separate timer using that scene. I don't even know about the newest Philips app; I just use Home now, though that's lacking some of the automation and timers I expect.

Reactions: Sandstorm

Mikey44

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2012
How long has Hue been out and it's just now getting a proper iPad app? That's really sad. Better late than never, I guess.
To be fair, this is the Hue app that they rewrote for the new hub. It came out around that time if my memory serves correctly.

The older app had universal compatibility already.

The one thing that the Home App doesn't do that annoys me is work with the White Ambiance lights for changing the color on those ones. It only lets me turn them on and off. :(

Suspended
Jul 18, 2011
I fail to see the excitement in controlling a light bulb with a phone. Surely a switch is more convenient?

Marshall73

macrumors 68000
Apr 20, 2015
I hate the home app. Reminds me of the early windows phone days.

Although the control center toggles are nice.

The 3D Touch shortcuts are much welcome. This will eliminate a lot of steps when you want a quick scene
I just use the app to setup the control centre which I use on all of my devices.

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
I fail to see the excitement in controlling a light bulb with a phone. Surely a switch is more convenient?
It's not necessarily exciting per se, not that physically turning off a switch is more demanding, but to be able to control your lights throughout your house is fairly convenient. I potentially could be upstairs in my house and forget to turn off the lights downstairs, hence having the ability to use my mobile device to control this. Technology allows us to have convenience where we may not necessarily need it, but it's exactly that, a short cut or convenient factor.

Also, perhaps this would suit someone who has a physical disability in their household, where they could control the lights without having to maneuver up and down the stairs.

Szarky

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2010
I hate the home app. Reminds me of the early windows phone days.

Although the control center toggles are nice.

The 3D Touch shortcuts are much welcome. This will eliminate a lot of steps when you want a quick scene
Agreed, Home app is really odd to use. Doesn't feel right. Feels sloppy.

Marshall73

macrumors 68000
Apr 20, 2015
Same here, but do you ever have scenes occasionally not work?
No, works whether I'm on the local wifi or using cellular data. Only warning I get is when it can't talk to a device because it is off. (I have an Apple TV 4th gen)

Szarky

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2010
How long has Hue been out and it's just now getting a proper iPad app? That's really sad. Better late than never, I guess.
What? This app is constantly getting updated/improved. One of my favourite tech purchases in a while. Convinced a techy friend to get it and he loved it. Great support by Phillips, always updating, and best of all the app is really slick, clean.

btrach144

macrumors 68000
Aug 28, 2015
I have yet to migrate my scenes from gen 1 app to gen 2 of the app. It sucks we have to do this manually. Looks like gen 2 app is finally going places. Maybe I'll migrate now.

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I prefer the Home app and the free Elgato Eve app. Something about the Philips app is just weird. I have never enjoyed using it. I only use it if I need to delete my HomeKit setup and start over.

WestCoastCommodore

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2016
It's also nice to be able to set up automations. I can, for example, program my porch light to come on every night at sunset then turn off at a fixed time later. It ensures that I never have to walk up to a dark front door, nor do I leave the light on longer than I need to.

jgelin

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2015
St Petersburg, FL
I just use the Home app now, only need the hue app when adding new devices.
I would use just the home app if apple would fix the support for Hue fully. It ignores the fact that there are actually white LEDs in the color lamps and so instead only uses the colored ones to make white light, as such, the white lighting is much more harsh then when set using the Hue app itself.

ipedro

Suspended
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Not when you're controlling a dozen lights to set the mood for a particular activity with one tap or one Siri voice request. That is something far less convenient and limited with traditional lights and switches.

"Hey Siri, get ready for dinner"... The living and dining room lights dim to blues and reds, spotlights over the dining table turn on with a well lit and satisfying colour temperature, and lights in the kids rooms flash on/off to let them know that it's time to come down to eat. How many switches and nobs would you have to play with to achieve that — if at all even possible?

With smart lights, you stop thinking about controlling individual lights and begin thinking about controlling activity scenes involving many lights and other smart home devices. "Good night Siri!"... All the lights turn off, motion sensors activitated to turn on floor lighting strips when someone gets up to use the bathroom in the middle of the night, thermostat cools the home, tv's turn off, smart locks ensure the house is locked down, the garage door is closed, and security cameras inside your home turn on and get ready to trigger motion notifications.

Last edited:

Bryan Bowler

macrumors 68040
Sep 27, 2008
I'm really bummed at the complete silence I'm experiencing from Philips Hue. 7 days ago I decided to buy into the Philips Hue system. Placed an order online, got the order confirmation email, and they raped (charged) my credit card with the high prices. Tomorrow will be a full week with no shipping notice and no way to check the status of your order online.

I tried calling customer support and they couldn't even look up an order. They said I had to email Luzern Solutions as they are the sub-company that handles all of their online orders. So I shot them an email and after 2 full business days, they haven't replied either.

I guess I'll give them another 3 days and if I don't hear anything, then I'll contest the charge with my credit card company. In today's day and age, Black Friday or not, it should not take 10 days to ship items that are in stock.

ipedro

Suspended
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Agreed, Home app is really odd to use. Doesn't feel right. Feels sloppy.
Sloppy? I don't see how that word would apply. If anything, it's extremely organized. Your entire home and your favourite shortcuts in the main screen, swipe through your rooms in the second, and automation in the third.

If anything, the default backgrounds created confusion because they were all the same. I quickly fixed that by giving each screen and room its own descriptive background.

As you might have guessed, I don't use the Hue app for my lights. The Home app is so much more intuitively organized and simple and of course it works with all of my devices, not just the lights.

Reactions: Mike Oxard

jgelin

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2015
St Petersburg, FL
7 days ago I decided to buy into the Philips Hue system.
omorrow will be a full week with no shipping notice and no way to check the status of your order online.
No, it will have of been only 3 business days in total since you ordered. Holiday and weekends are a reality and they certainly affect shipping of product. Honestly, reasonable and you should continue to wait a bit longer if you ask me before involving the CC company and making this bigger than it is at the moment.

WBRacing

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2012
UK
I've recently bought an Echo Dot and use that to control my Hue lights now, it is brilliant at it.

I only use the apps to set scenes and new bulbs now.