Philips Hue app for the Apple Watch

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by papa8706, Mar 22, 2015.

1. papa8706 macrumors 6502a

2. kurzz macrumors 6502

kurzz

I'm really looking forward to this. Moreso if I can tell Siri to turn off the bedroom lights.

3. I am Sampson macrumors 6502

I am Sampson

Whohoo! Wife and I really want better hue control, got them in nearly every room now and it can be a pain to change their colour / turn on and off.

4. Presonance macrumors regular

Presonance

This looks really cool. I really really want to buy Hue-like lights, but I think I should wait for HomeKit compatible hardware.

5. sam3020 macrumors 6502a

sam3020

Good spot. This was the one thing i was looking for for the watch. Will be awesome using the watch as a light switch

6. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

I'll be getting a Hue setup soon hopefully and am definitely looking forward to having access on my wrist. My brother already uses the hue system and he loves it.

7. Runt888 macrumors 6502a

Now all we need is a company selling cheap iBeacons so that your lights can turn on automatically when someone enters the room.

8. Sharkey311 Suspended

Can someone tell me the purpose of Hue Lights and why I would want colored light bulbs in my house?

9. papa8706 thread starter macrumors 6502a

If you did any research you'd see it's not just colored lights. They have natural lighting, and Hue Lux for warm white lighting. Colored lighting can be nice for mood lighting or home theater set ups though.

- Intuitive programmable timers
    - Energy saving
    - Longer lasting
    - Convenience
    - Up to 90 scenes
    - Geofencing for turning lights on an off as you enter or leave your home

Ect.

10. virginblue4 macrumors 68000

virginblue4

Very excited about this! Have a mixture of Philips hue bulbs and hue light strips. Will be great to control from my wrist.

11. zacheryjensen macrumors 6502a

zacheryjensen

The color of light you are exposed to has a direct, material, scientifically measurable impact on your brain chemistry with particularly impact on your melatonin production. It also impacts your mood and, hell, even your vision as your tolerance for light reception in your eyes is not constant and it is not consistent across all colors.

So, use your imagination in conjunction with the basic facts about how light is perceived by humans and you can start to see ways it is helpful to have this kind of dynamic control.

For example, if you ever have to get up in the night, you can have low red lights come on which will have the least impact on your vision in the dark and have a low impact on how easily you can get back to sleep.

You can have your lights cooler during the day and warmer at night, like daylight sun vs. evening light, which helps maintain a healthy sleep cycle. Light therapy isn't ******** like aromatherapy. The color of light, especially orange vs. blue, directly impacts your mind's willingness to accept that it's time to sleep.

Personally, we also use it to set moods for events like movie watching (dim orange, like old school theater running lights) or holidays. There are third party apps that can do fun things like make dynamic light shows synchronized to holiday imagery and music displayed via AirPlay on an Apple TV as one example.

Furthermore, automation is applicable whether you're using colored lights or just the "white" lux which can adjust color temperature. For example, I have a set of lights turn on in the morning when it's time to wake up. This is VERY helpful in the Winter time with no light in the mornings. I have a light strip mounted under my daughter's bed that acts as a nightlight and becomes quite a lot lighter and brighter in the morning prior to the time she has to wake up for school which has noticeably helped in that process.

Unless you're literally blind, light has a direct, measurable, and very significant impact on your perception of reality. Why wouldn't you want to control it in more detail if you could?

That's why I have Hue lights all around the house. Not every light, mind you, but, enough to give ambient control over color and brightness in every room.

12. tgara macrumors 6502a

tgara

Oh, come on. Those bulbs are for the bedroom near the stripper pole. #

13. Sharkey311 Suspended

Thank you for the detailed response, I literally had no idea the purpose of those hue lights. I thought it was just colored for the hell of it.

----------

No need to be hostile, I was genuinely wondering

14. papa8706 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Didn't intend to be hostile, your comment comment just came across as snarky when I read it. Sorry

15. JonnyIreland macrumors 6502a

JonnyIreland

This is great news, this will be one of my primary uses for the Apple Watch, at least when I'm at home... When I first bought into the Hue system it seemed expensive, but it's one of the best investments that I've ever made for my home, I love using it.

16. Squid7085 macrumors 6502a

I just finished replacing the last of my bulbs with Hue bulbs (Not all color, I need to eat...) so this is good news. I have the tap switches, but again those are pricey so I don't have enough. The biggest ones are control from bed and the couch, the watch only makes it easier. However... Siri would be even easier...

17. joealanjones macrumors member

I think this might push me over the edge to start a HUE collection.

A couple of questions since it sounds like you're using Hue similar to how I would:

- Where do you use coloured bulbs vs Lux bulbs?
    - Do the coloured bulbs have a better range of whites than Lux? Do you make use of them or are Lux fine for white?
    - What benefit do you find that you get over standard bulbs and switches, using Hue + Tap switches?

Would appreciate yours or any other thoughts! Thanks!