Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

After an announcement at CES in January and more details unveiled earlier in May, Philips Hue today is finally beginning to roll out a major 3.0 update to its iOS app for all users of the connected lighting platform. In the release notes, the developers call version 3.0 "the biggest update to the Hue app since the original release of the 2.0 version."

philips-hue-app-release.jpg

Major changes include improved user interface navigation with quicker access to favorite scenes and colors, brightness controls and light visualization for individual lights and not just grouped-together rooms, and new color pickers for better overview and grouping of lights in a room. Hue's lighting designers have also created 30 new picture scenes for pre-set lighting recipes, and a new picture-to-light algorithm can automatically build scenes using the user's own pictures.

Users will also find a few existing Hue features again in version 3.0, including lighting routines to automatically dim lights at night and gradually turn them on in the morning, and the location awareness feature so lights can be set to turn on when the owner arrives at home or turn off when they leave. Meanwhile, the timer function activates lights after a specified time by triggering a scene or simply flashing the lights.

In the release notes, the Philips Hue team discussed the app's changes and thanked its users:
"The 3.0 app update is the biggest update to the Hue app since the original release of the 2.0 version. We've tried to make it more intuitive and enjoyable for everyday use. Some changes you might hardly notice, while others are hard to miss."
Later in July, Philips Hue will also debut a line of Hue lights for outdoors, so that users can connect and control their lighting on a patio, balcony, or other environment outside. The new lights include the Philips Hue Lily, which can be used to highlight key features in a garden, and the Philips Hue Calla, which can be placed in the ground and light pathways through outdoor spaces.

For the app update, version 3.0 is available to download today from the iOS App Store for free [Direct Link].

Article Link: Philips Hue Begins Rolling Out Major 3.0 Update to All Users of iOS App

thecatman001

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2018
The biggest complaint about the Hue system - per me amd their help line - is that when the power goes off, all the lights come on full strength. I was told this would be fixed in this release yet there is no mention of it. The rest of the update is just fluff for me as I never change my setups.

It's great that I can turn the lights off again remotely, but if I'm out of town, checking Hue every 5 minutes isn't part of the plan.

It would be nice if they can't figure out how to fix it, if they just sent out an alert to my phone that the power went off.

Comment

Mr$tone

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2017
I just installed Phillips Hue v3 (latest update) and I can’t get past the ”Connecting...” message and hence not use anything except for the switches on the main screen. Any one else experiencing this? Any ideas for a solution? I have a huge set of lights and want to avoid re-installing the app and go through the setup process again.

Comment

Quu

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2007
Got it just now, works well for me. Very nice update :)
[doublepost=1527598234][/doublepost]
The biggest complaint about the Hue system - per me amd their help line - is that when the power goes off, all the lights come on full strength. I was told this would be fixed in this release yet there is no mention of it. The rest of the update is just fluff for me as I never change my setups.

That will need to be fixed in a bulb firmware update and not an iOS app update. They may have already corrected it (or not) in a previous bulb update.

Comment

slineaudi

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2009
...when the power goes off, all the lights come on full strength...

Yeah that's interesting. I think they work like that so that you can have "backward compatibility" with normal switches. If you walk into a dark room with wall switch controlled lights you could flick the switch off and back on and your Hue lights would turn on like a regular bulb would. I do use them that way sometimes when my phone is out of reach. That said, I've also been woken up in the middle of the night by bright lights because the power flickered during a storm. Maybe making that a configurable option would be nice.

Reactions: Stargher
Comment

Koxi

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2014
Yeah that's interesting. I think they work like that so that you can have "backward compatibility" with normal switches. If you walk into a dark room with wall switch controlled lights you could flick the switch off and back on and your Hue lights would turn on like a regular bulb would. I do use them that way sometimes when my phone is out of reach. That said, I've also been woken up in the middle of the night by bright lights because the power flickered during a storm. Maybe making that a configurable option would be nice.

As far as I know this is a wanted/mandatory feature.
If there is an emergency and ambulance or firefighters need to enter a room, the first thing is to turn the lights on. They might try it one or two times if nothing happens ... by having them coming up at full strenght when the power was off, the chance to find a person lying on the floor is higher.

This was discussed in the hue forums quite some time ago and it was made clear that this will not change.

Reactions: dwsolberg
Comment

thisisnotmyname

macrumors 68020
Oct 22, 2014
known but velocity indeterminate
The app is fine, fix the firmware so it doesn't turn on every light after a power outage!
[doublepost=1527601077][/doublepost]
If there is an emergency and ambulance or firefighters need to enter a room, the first thing is to turn the lights on. They might try it one or two times if nothing happens ... by having them coming up at full strenght when the power was off, the chance to find a person lying on the floor is higher.

This was discussed in the hue forums quite some time ago and it was made clear that this will not change.

First responders deal with emergencies in power outages all the time, they carry flashlights. Some of us don't have old style switches in our homes so this whole concept is just ridiculous. It's a longstanding complaint from a big portion of their user base and they refuse to fix the issue.

Comment

michaelb5000

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2015
going on to full power after a power failure is my biggest complaint too. This doesn't really have anything to do with using the switch, that can stay the same. So if you turn a bulb on and off using the switch, it can revert to full power. This would be fixed at the Hub, so if the Hub loses power, and then power is restored, the Hub would go back to the light settings that were in place before it lost power (even if the lights returned to full power for that min or two before the Hub rebooted, this would be way better).

Comment

az431

Suspended
Sep 13, 2008
Portland, OR

Because emergency responders never enter dark rooms and aren’t prepared for that scenario?

Reactions: Bryan Bowler
Comment

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
The biggest complaint about the Hue system - per me amd their help line - is that when the power goes off, all the lights come on full strength.

That's the only thing I miss about the Insteon bulbs I used to use. With those, when the power came back on, the bulb remained in the same state it was in when the power went out. When I moved over to Hue bulbs last year and the power went out and came back on the first time, I was surprised to see every Hue light in my house on.

Comment

macduke

macrumors G4
Jun 27, 2007
Central U.S.
Can you use the bulbs without a hub yet? I’ve been waiting for that along with the price to come down over the years.

Comment

RyanInBinary

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2017
Hopefully they updated their API hooks as well, so I can use Hue Motion Sensors with IFTTT finally.

Comment

Babygotfont

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2016
Can you use the bulbs without a hub yet? I’ve been waiting for that along with the price to come down over the years.

i made the determination when researching and investing into my smart home ... decision #1 ... no devices that require their own or an additional hub. period. no exceptions.

Comment

Jay-Jacob

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2015
England
I just installed Phillips Hue v3 (latest update) and I can’t get past the ”Connecting...” message and hence not use anything except for the switches on the main screen. Any one else experiencing this? Any ideas for a solution? I have a huge set of lights and want to avoid re-installing the app and go through the setup process again.

I have same problem. Stuck that connecting screen and won’t connect.

Edit: tried on my iPad app and thankfully it work! Phew. iPhone app just won’t some reason.

Comment

thiskiwicanfly

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2015
NZ

It's great that I can turn the lights off again remotely, but if I'm out of town, checking Hue every 5 minutes isn't part of the plan.

It would be nice if they can't figure out how to fix it, if they just sent out an alert to my phone that the power went off.

Yes I've been waiting for something similar to this as well. I was advised by Philips that the new software would (finally) allow the user to assign the default turn-on state of the Hue light, but I also cannot find this feature in the updated app. Another user has mentioned that this could be due to a firmware update on the light bulb itself - which may still be coming.

However, I've been thinking about this... and on balance it's probably a good idea for the Hue lights to switch on at 100% in their default on-state anyway. For visitors or guests, babysitters etc, that are unaware of the Hue lights (or have no wireless access to them), or even in an emergency after a power outage, the ability to manually switch the lights on/off via an electrical light switch is most probably a good thing. But I must admit it is annoying to consider the possibility of returning home from vacation to a house full of lights - due to a power outage. There's definitely plusses and minuses on both sides of the agenda. To alleviate this scenario, I have an automation setup in HomeKit that turns ALL the lights OFF at sunrise each day (when nobody is home). This way, the worst possible scenario will be that all the lights are on for 24 hours max while I'm away on vacation.

Also, while I love the software update... I have found a software bug. If I create a new scene that has a mix of lights turned on, and others turned off in the same room - and then I assign that new scene to the Hue dimmer switch... when I turn the lights on using the Hue dimmer switch (for that scene)... ALL of the lights in that scene/room turn on, including the lights that are supposed to be off as part of the scene. Not sure if anyone else has come across this?

Comment

macduke

macrumors G4
Jun 27, 2007
Central U.S.
i made the determination when researching and investing into my smart home ... decision #1 ... no devices that require their own or an additional hub. period. no exceptions.
Yeah I’ve been leaning this way. I don’t like the idea of my hub breaking and then nothing can connect. At least HomeKit should kee working independent of these systems for a long time.

Comment

LiveM

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2015
Avoiding buying a bridge is pointless. You need a bridge one way or another as it uses Zigbee rather than Bluetooth or Wi-Fi (for power efficiency).

If the bridge is merged, as with the Echo Plus, you will not have the same firmware support as the first-party bridge, but you are misguided if you think the bulbs need a stand-alone bridge and that that there is some philosophical objection that should hold you back or prompt Philips to stop offering its own hardware.

Comment

bluespark

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago

Why? I have several hubs plugged into an Ethernet switcher and they work beautifully. What advantage do you see to a no-device-with-hub approach?

Reactions: thiskiwicanfly
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.