Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Davmeister

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 7, 2009
London
Hello all.

Without going into cost and benefits/negatives, I've just got a question about Goldee - an app for the hue bulbs that lets you set scenes.

The 2 falling asleep themes use significant amounts of blue light in their colour palette. Am I missing something? I thought blue light helped wake people up - so is this purely cosmetic? To make it seem like the night sky?

Cheers

Tom (don't laugh at the fact that I'm a med student and should probably know this...there is contradicting research) ;)

white.noise

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2011
I read that blue actually helps you fall asleep. Although it depends on what kind of blue, normally dark blues hope you fall asleep.

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009
It really all depends on the wavelength emitted. There are shorter wavelengths close to sunlight that are "blue" (they are actually more of a white, with a little blue) that are used as mood elevators and to wake people up/adjust sleep schedules.

Then there are longer wavelengths within the visible color spectrum (more likely what Hue is putting out) that are just blue. Whether or not they stimulate sleep is another pop psych issue I won't go into. I am not aware of any studies, but also haven't gone around looking for any.

In my personal opinion, it is more likely a marketing gimmick to sell a bulb that can change colors, giving it actual utility rather than just being able to change colors for novelty.

The best color for sleep is BLACK/Darkness. Studies out there have concluded that a single quantum of light can affect sleep.

If you really want to go to sleep, turn off all the lights, and don't use phones/TVs/tablets that emit any light for 2-3 hours before bedtime.

Davmeister

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 7, 2009
London
It really all depends on the wavelength emitted. There are shorter wavelengths close to sunlight that are "blue" (they are actually more of a white, with a little blue) that are used as mood elevators and to wake people up/adjust sleep schedules.

Then there are longer wavelengths within the visible color spectrum (more likely what Hue is putting out) that are just blue. Whether or not they stimulate sleep is another pop psych issue I won't go into. I am not aware of any studies, but also haven't gone around looking for any.

In my personal opinion, it is more likely a marketing gimmick to sell a bulb that can change colors, giving it actual utility rather than just being able to change colors for novelty.

The best color for sleep is BLACK/Darkness. Studies out there have concluded that a single quantum of light can affect sleep.

If you really want to go to sleep, turn off all the lights, and don't use phones/TVs/tablets that emit any light for 2-3 hours before bedtime.

You're probably right. But then that would be a HUGE waste of money on these bulbs. I want them on. CONSTANTLY! Haha ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.