Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Philips today announced that it's partnering with Frima Studio to sync its Hue line of lights with Chariot, a co-op platformer game that's available on Xbox One. Chariot will be the first video game that connects to the Philips Hue lighting system, allowing the lights to automatically sync to match scenes in the game.

With over one million downloads worldwide, Chariot is a popular couch co-op platformer with rich, vibrant colours and out-of-this-world graphics and environments. It is now able to control all the Philips Hue lights in the room to reflect in real time what is happening in the game.

Different lights are connected together to create a unique ambiance with hundreds of colours for the ultimate immersion in the game universe. When enemies attack, Hue lights blink red. When colourful plants bloom, their colours are reflected in the room. From subtle shifts to sudden bursts, everything onscreen is reflected in a Hue-enabled space.
Philips is also expanding its partnership with Syfy, introducing a special "light track" that will accompany the premiere of Sharknado 3: Oh Hell No!, coming out on Wednesday, July 22 at 9 p.m.

As with previous Syfy/Hue experiences, those who watch Sharknado 3 will be able to use the Syfy Sync iOS app to connect their lights to the television show. The app works by detecting the sound that's currently playing from the television, changing the lights at the appropriate time to match each scene.

Syfy and Hue have partnered up in the past for Sharknado, Sharknado 2, and the 12 Monkeys television show. If you have a set of Hue lights in your home, it may be worth checking out Sharknado 3 or the new Xbox One game as the ability to sync what's on screen with your lightning system makes for a great immersive experience.

Philips has released several different lighting options for its Hue lineup, but the base system, which includes the bridge that other lights connect to, can be purchased from Apple for $199 or from Amazon for $185.

Article Link: Philips Hue Lights Sync With Xbox One Game 'Chariot', TV Movie 'Sharknado 3'

ConnYoungy

Cancelled
Aug 14, 2010
Yeah thats really cool.

If you have 10 strategically placed HUE lights around your living room.

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
There are hundreds of struggling writers of original screenplays that have beaten their head against the wall of their cheap apartments over Sharknado. Classic, "How in the hell does something this low grade and dumb ass get the green light?"

Reactions: iPhysicist

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
Yeah thats really cool.

If you have 10 strategically placed HUE lights around your living room.

Fortunately, that's exactly where Hue owners tend to place their bulbs.

Now, about the video, it amuses me that the TV is flickering so badly. I'm pretty sure that's because the camera operator on set said, 'I can either sync the camera to the TV, or to these flickering Hue lights, but not both'.

I like my Hue lights, but they strobe noticeably.

Last edited:

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
Nice to see the "theater effects" tracks are making it to home use. There are several tracks in a theater release of the movie to change environmental settings in the movie theater. Light level is one of these.

Some theaters (mostly in SoCal) alters the dim wall lighting and can even flicker the aisle lights. Others are room temperature and airflow (tied into the movie theater's HVAC) and the D-Box vibrating seats for a premium cost. When Tron Legacy came out, our group did the whole 3D / D-Box experience. The Light Cycle racing scene was awesome.

Like to see these light levels standardized so not just Phillips but other lighting systems could tie in the tracks.

edgr.sanchez

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2013
So if the (stupid) movies and the 12 Monkeys TV show use the Syfy app to sync the lights to the screen....

Then how does the Chariot game do it? I'd hope that there were a better solution than having to plug my phone in and set it in front of the speakers.

All in all, this works pretty well, I've tried it. But I have no interest in watching a movie about sharks in a tornado. The 12 Monkeys tv show is ok. I'm most interested in this being built into the Xbox as an option for anybody that owns Wifi connected lights, not just Hue.

And most importantly... I'm getting tired of waiting for HomeKit integration.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.