Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Philips Hue parent company Signify today announced several new Hue lighting options, the most exciting of which feature the gradient technology that was added to the Philips Hue Play Lightstrip last year.

philips-hue-gradient-light-strip.jpg

The new Philips Hue Play Gradient Light Tube is designed to sit above or below a TV, adding a blend of multiple lighting colors in a single lighting fixture. The Light Tube comes in either black or white to match home theater setups.

philips-hue-gradient-light-tube.jpg

Gradient lighting functionality is also coming to an upgraded version of the Philips Hue Signe floor and table lamps and the Philips Hue Ambiance Gradient Lightstrip, which can be used anywhere.

Other lighting updates are also coming. There's a new White Filament E14 Candle Bulb, and the Hue Filament bulbs on the whole are now available in White ambiance, so users can select any shade of warm-to-cool light. Prior Filament bulbs were limited to a warm yellow light.

philips-hue-white-ambiance-filament.jpg

White and Color Ambiance bulbs are coming in 1100 and 1600 lumen varieties (75W and 100W equivalent) so users can choose the brightness level that they need.

philips-hue-light-1600-lumens.jpg

New Philips Hue Infuse Ceiling Lights are set to launch in 2022, offering up white and colored light with indirect light on the ceiling.

Signify is launching a major update for the Philips Hue app that will add new dynamic scenes. With dynamic scenes, lights in a room will slowly transition through the different colors in the scene. The update is also when when a new Philips Hue Spotify integration will launch, allowing Philips Hue lights to change colors and brightness based on Spotify songs that are playing.

In the fall, the Hue app will get a new Hue scene gallery with scenes that are designed to run for 24 hours. These scenes will change in brightness as time passes, mimicking the sun's movement over the course of the day. Signify is also planning a software update for the Philips Hue Play HDMI Sync Box that will add compatibility with the 120Hz refresh rates of the latest game consoles. The Sync Box can support 120Hz with an image resolution of 1080p and 1440p. 4K will be limited to 60Hz as it is now.

The new products will be available starting today and will be available for purchase from the Philips Hue website. The White, White Ambiance, and White and Color Ambiance 1100 lumen (75W bulbs) are launching today and pricing will start at $14.99, $24.99, and $49.99, respectively for a single bulb.

The White Ambiance Hue Filament Bulbs and the Filament candle are also available today and are priced between $29.99 and $49.99. On October 1, the Hue Ambiance Gradient Lightstrip will be available for $169.99, with an extension available for $69.99.

The Philips Hue Gradient Signe Floor and Table lamps will launch on October 12 and will be priced at $200 (table) and $300 (floor). The White, White Ambiance, and Color Ambiance 1600 lumen (100W) bulbs will be available on October 12 and will be priced at $19.99, $39.99, and $59.99, respectively.

Article Link: Philips Hue Line Gains New Gradient-Enabled Lights, Updated Filament Bulbs and More

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
So how much is the Light Tube? It wasn’t mentioned in the article and the link seems to be broken (at the time of this post).

ProfessionalFan

macrumors 603
Sep 29, 2016
Signify is also planning a software update for the Philips Hue Play HDMI Sync Box that will add compatibility with the 120Hz refresh rates of the latest game consoles. The Sync Box can support 120Hz with an image resolution of 1080p and 1440p. 4K will be limited to 60Hz as it is now.
This is disappointing. If it had HDMI 2.1, I'd probably buy it.

Jaro65

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2009
Seattle, WA
I'd buy more stuff from them, they are great products, but the ~50 device limit is too easy to hit. When I start going beyond that, they stop working right. The hub is dying for a hardware update. I'm sure they are trying to wait for Matter to land, but I literally can't buy anything else from them.
I have one hub for the interior and one for exterior lights. Not an ideal solution, of course. It would be much better if a single hub could support 100+ devices.

gk4

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2010
I'd buy more stuff from them, they are great products, but the ~50 device limit is too easy to hit. When I start going beyond that, they stop working right. The hub is dying for a hardware update. I'm sure they are trying to wait for Matter to land, but I literally can't buy anything else from them.
In the same boat. They are for me the most reliable smart bulbs - and I consider them every time I need to get a smart bulb, but needing to budget the small device limit the provide always has me going with another option so I can leave room in the hub in case there is a future scenario where a hue product is the only option.

Basically, I want to buy hue, but the overall limit on the amount of hue I can buy (even though I'm not at that limit) makes me not buy hue so that I can keep the ability to buy hue if needed at a future date.

gk4

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2010
Matter or thread support?
Thread support would likely be a no because it couldn't talk to it's hub if it wasn't running zigbee. It's hard to answer on Matter support since the Matter spec hasn't even been completed.

There are questions like weather a device on the network can present itself and it's child devices to a matter controller, while communicating to it's child devices with a protocol outside the matter spec.

Take Lutron Casetta for example. The lutron hub itself could make itself visible to a matter controller since its just a basic ethernet device. But the lutron switches and pico remotes use a proprietary communication system that isn't part of the matter spec so a fully compliant matter controller/hub wouldn't be able to talk directly to a lutron switch. But will the Matter spec allow for the Lutron hub to present it's child devices to the matter controller and act as a middleman between the matter commands sent to the hub and the proprietary commands that need to be sent to the devices?

Reactions: SFjohn

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
In the same boat. They are for me the most reliable smart bulbs - and I consider them every time I need to get a smart bulb, but needing to budget the small device limit the provide always has me going with another option so I can leave room in the hub in case there is a future scenario where a hue product is the only option.

Basically, I want to buy hue, but the overall limit on the amount of hue I can buy (even though I'm not at that limit) makes me not buy hue so that I can keep the ability to buy hue if needed at a future date.
I have a couple of extra hubs from buying the 3 bulb starter pack when it goes on sale. $120 for 3 bulbs (plus hub) is better than the $50 each price for bulbs.

Phil77354

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2014
Pacific Northwest, U.S.
I have Hue bulbs in several rooms, don't really have very much interest in the lighting integration with a TV, but it's interesting for those who want those features.

What has stopped me from putting Hue bulbs throughout my house is cost and the limited choices available for their basic bulbs. I'd like to have bulbs that are 'cool white' rather than 'warm white', and that means I would need to purchase their white ambiance bulb which is very expensive. Even the simplest warm white bulbs are very expensive.

For many locations I don't really need more than simply turning the bulbs on or off. Dimming capability is handy to have but not really necessary. Controlling the bulbs from my iPhone or Siri is nice, as is the ability to set programs for them to turn on and off at certain times.

Bottom line is that even putting their least expensive bulb in every fixture in my house would be more expensive than I feel is justified. As a result, I've purchased other types of LED bulbs for those locations that don't require the smart bulb features, but I want to be using the least amount of electricity.

One real benefit I've observed with Hue is that the bulbs are very reliable. I don't think I've had a single Hue bulb fail since I began using them. With cheaper LED bulbs, I have had to replace them, and I've started using the Philips non-Hue LED bulbs for some locations with the hope that they will also be reliable.

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
I only have the cheapest "warm white" or whatever they're called bulbs.

They work well and are reliably connected to the hub. The remote switch also works well, and most of the time so does Home/Siri although about 25% of the time it refuses to see any bulbs unless I toggle wifi off/on.

The issue with the bulbs is their dimming capability. They don't go very bright (I believe newer bulbs do) and they don't dim very dark either.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
According to Gizmodo the short versions of the light tube is $180 and the longer version $200, with availability from 18th January 2022.
Much appreciated in posting this! I'm interested in the Light Tube the most, not for my TV, but for my Mac set up :D

Reactions: SFjohn

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
Does it analyze movie frames for color and adjust in real-time to “enhance” the experience across the wall? Why else would I want a light source competing with my TV?
FWIW, there are setups that do precisely that, normally in conjunction with LED strips set around the edges of the TV on the back panel, so you get a bloom of color around the TV that precisely matches the current scene in real time. But doing it right isn't cheap.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.