Philips Hue Outdoor Range Gaining New Weatherproof LightStrip

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 23, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Philips Hue first announced a range of outdoor lights at CES in January, and then a few months later confirmed the fixtures and bulbs would launch in July. Now that the Philips Hue outdoor collection is out in the U.S., a new accessory has been discovered on the company's Netherlands website called the Philips Hue White and Color Ambiance LightStrip Outdoor (via HomeKit News).

[​IMG]

Similar to the existing indoor LightStrip, the outdoor product is a flexible diffuse light that the company says works for both direct and indirect lighting situations. Available in 2m and 5m, the LightStrip Outdoor lacks a sticky backing like its indoor counterpart, and instead can be attached to a wall, ceiling, or fence with included clips and screws. Customers can also place the light on the ground and bend and shape it to provide lighting along a path.

Like other products in the outdoor range, the LightStrip Outdoor is "completely weatherproof" and can withstand rain, small puddles, and water jets from any direction, according to the company. The accessory also supports hues in both the white and color ambiance spectrum, so customers will be able to light their outdoor spaces with "16 million colors and all shades of white."

[​IMG]

Other Philips Hue Outdoor accessories include the PAR38 bulb, Calla pathway light, Ludere security light, Lucca wall lantern, Inara wall lantern, and an extension cable. Like all other HomeKit-compatible products, Hue's line of outdoor devices can be added into Apple's Home app so users can control them in existing HomeKit scenes, automations, and by using Siri.

For the LightStrip Outdoor, it's unclear when Philips plans to expand availability for the accessory across its website in all territories, but even on the Netherlands-based website the rope light doesn't appear to be available for purchase at this time. According to a Philips representative, more details about the LightStrip Outdoor should be emerging towards the end of August.

Article Link: Philips Hue Outdoor Range Gaining New Weatherproof LightStrip

2. Sir Ruben macrumors 65816

Sir Ruben

Must....resist....my home currently has over 1k of Hue Lighting products :/

3. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

4. x-evil-x macrumors 68040

x-evil-x

I wonder if they changed how far away the led placement is for the strips. One bad thing about these is you put them close to wall facing it or down the gaps in lighting are pretty bad. Id like an update on the strips with close led's like the lifx

5. Pupi macrumors regular

Pupi

I wonder if these are can be deployed in cold winters.

6. imola.zhp macrumors 6502a

imola.zhp

PTL! My cheap amazon RGB strips have been messed up for longer than they worked. They only work all the way on certain colors, other colors, some sections illuminate different colors. I haven't had time to mess with them.

7. Iconoclysm macrumors 68020

Iconoclysm

I wonder why they chose such an ugly plant for that photo.

8. luvbug macrumors member

luvbug

Man, this Phillips stuff is over-the-top expensive IMO. For the indoor version, a 1 meter extension is $30!! That's $10 a foot ! There needs to be some serious competition in this area; Phillips is laughing all the way to the bank.

9. centauratlas, Jul 23, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2018

centauratlas macrumors 6502a

centauratlas

They need to update the software in the hub to allow more than 50 lights!

10. Sir Ruben macrumors 65816

Sir Ruben

Just wait for Black Friday sales etc, much of my setup was bought during these times at half price.

11. allenvanhellen macrumors regular

Needs to have chaser and other functions for Christmas.

12. Sweetfeld28 macrumors 65816

Sweetfeld28

Perfect timing, my low power lights are dying... seems like more and more are dead every time I look at them.

Does anyone know if the connector lines, or extension cables are tough? Rodents keep chewing on my old lines, causing these to be disconnected or broken.

13. ipedro macrumors 68040

ipedro

For what it’s worth, I’ve had an original Hue lightstrip on my outdoor patio for 3 years under a hand rail but otherwise exposed to rain, sprinklers, window washers and Toronto’s brutally cold winters.

14. Debauch macrumors member

...you don't say if it still or not ;)

15. Gorms macrumors 6502

Gorms

I feel you brother, like no one else on these forums, I feel you.

16. macduke macrumors G3

macduke

I wonder if this would look good running under the lip of the rock landscaping wall that I built a couple months ago. I have four LED spots on the stone and bricks on the front of my house but the rock wall is in the dark. $10/ft is kinda expensive though since I'd need to run a lot of cable outside. Hopefully they release a white only version. I wish Ring would hurry up and support HomeKit so that I can connect everything together properly. I bought WeMo the other day and can't figure out how to connect the two together despite it saying that they're a partner it only seems to open their app and I see no way to directly connect them. And speaking of WeMo I'm still kinda salty that they announced it was getting HomeKit so I bought it and the update isn't actually coming for a while.

17. ryanissamson macrumors newbie

So like, 3 light bulbs?

18. skinned66 macrumors 65816

skinned66

That's good to know, thanks!

I thought about using an indoor bulb on my covered porch until I checked the operating temperature range which isn't even close to the -30C temperatures we get here. Maybe I'll splurge on these new ones instead of the new outdoor lights.

19. Remy149 macrumors regular

The hue products are always on sale and that’s the best time to buy

20. hagar macrumors 6502a

Because generally speaking, the people that want coloured lights in their house and garden are usually not the type that cares about ugly. Tacky is all I can say about it.

I have the Hue starter kit and it’s in a drawer. Not practical without smart switches and the coloured lights make it look like a disco or brothel.

21. Falhófnir macrumors 68000

Falhófnir

Looks extraordinarily tacky imo, I always hate houses that seem to want to put on a light show outside of Christmas season!

22. duervo macrumors 68020

duervo

You could try wrapping the cables in some old screen mesh from an old window or door screen (or get some new from a hardware store.) Secure it with either plastic or steel wrap ties. I’d probably double or triple the layers. A layer of steel wool first, followed by a layer of screen mesh, would be even better.

I’ve also heard that rodents hate the smell of soap. Particularly, Irish Spring soap. You could try wrapping some in cheesecloth and attaching it to the cable lengths at varying intervals. Will need to be replaced from time to time though, and more frequently if the cheesecloth will have regular exposure to sunlight.

23. Swampthing macrumors 6502a

Swampthing

I never understand why people waste so much money on colored lights. Do you want your home to look like a nightclub? Aren't you satisifed with the natural colors of objects in white light? Isn't this something you should outgrow in your 20s? This is worse than new emojis.

24. justperry macrumors G3

justperry

Agreed, I myself bought a LIFX bulb about half a year ago, the only way I use it is to have different shades of white and dimming it, colours are just tacky.

25. bbednarz macrumors 6502

bbednarz

k