Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

coder12

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2010
Exoplanet has support for the Hue bulbs. It makes me want to get them, but $200 is just too steep for the demand.

spb3

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2012
Gimmicky to some... life enabling to others. Think of someone who may be deaf. There have been lights for phone ringers for decades because it didn't require a whole lot of technology.
deaf people usually do not talk on the phone.
but i see your point.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Gimmicky to some... life enabling to others. Think of someone who may be deaf. There have been lights for phone ringers for decades because it didn't require a whole lot of technology.

What if these could hook into an intelligent alarm system? Flashing some unique pattern to warn the deaf occupant of a time critical situation.

Awesome for deaf people:
* Like when the smoke alarm rings, turn the lights red and flash them.
* When the door bell rings, turn the lights yellow and flash them.

Other uses:
* Slowly turn the lights on when it's dusk, and off at bedtime.
* When my hockey team scores a goal, pulse red lights.
* When there is a sports game going to overtime, pulse blue lights.
* Rain is approaching (10 minutes away) - cycle colors blue/white, blue/white. I know to close the windows.
* My wife is approaching, within 10 miles of the house: FLASH RED! Get the mistress out of the house! :)

This is REALLY COOL.

Meandmunch

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2002
Market demand needs to hurry the hell up and drive down the price, once that happens these things will fly off the shelves.

Very, very cool technology.

peterh988

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2011
When the novelty has worn off, can you just walk into a room, switch them on at the light switch (assuming its wired that way) and flip them off again when you leave, without having to fiddle with your ios device?

MasterHowl

macrumors 65816
Oct 3, 2010
North of England
I've got three maps in my student accommodation, and I'd love a set of these. But £179 is just far too much...

If they were half that price, say £90, I'd consider them for a "birthday treat" or something.

Hope they're cheaper on Amazon!

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
When the novelty has worn off, can you just walk into a room, switch them on at the light switch (assuming its wired that way) and flip them off again when you leave, without having to fiddle with your ios device?

Yes. The lights lose power, they go off. Just like typical light bulbs.

You can probably program them, so that they turn back to white when you flick them off and on.

----------

These would be good if they were actually brighter than a nightlight. I need "lighting" in my house, not "mood lighting".

Not all your lights in your house need to be these lights. You can have regular lights in your house too.

----------

Market demand needs to hurry the hell up and drive down the price, once that happens these things will fly off the shelves.

Very, very cool technology.

Right - and the developers who buy these NOW, and create cool apps/programs to drive these lights will make lots of money when they become popular. $199 will be chicken-feed for those developers.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Still waiting for a price drop. Not paying $200 for light bulbs.

If they sold a one or two bulb starter pack, or the 'bridge' separately, more people would do these. Yes, $200.00 is steep for what this is.

BUT my big question is why does it need a 'bridge'? Can't they make wi-fi bulbs that you can control just through the local network? It seems clumsy to have to have a 'bridge' installed to interface with the bulbs. Proprietary 'solution' here? And if the 'bridge' dies? S.O.L.?

macsrcool1234

Suspended
Oct 7, 2010
A lightbulb has one purpose - to light the area. Who needs lightsbulbs blinking around like a haunted house for every minor notification?

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I guess this whole thing is...er...cool, huh?:cool:

I find this product neat since I first heard about it and now with this update its renewed my interest in it. Maybe one of these days I'll buy it (when I get some extra funds of course).

Now wouldn't that be err... Cool? :cool:

Last edited:

AppleDude

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2006
"Had" One Purpose

A lightbulb has one purpose - to light the area. Who needs lightsbulbs blinking around like a haunted house for every minor notification?

A light bulb had one purpose back when it was just a dumb bulb. Kind of like when mobile phones had one purpose--to make calls. Meet the smart bulb;)

----------

"dude... Why is your lamp flashing?"

"oh! My virtual cupcakes are ready to be served!"

lol!

macsrcool1234

Suspended
Oct 7, 2010
A light bulb had one purpose back when it was just a dumb bulb. Kind of like when mobile phones had one purpose--to make calls. Meet the smart bulb;)

lol!

Has the purpose of lightning changed (starting from candles going to electric lights?):rolleyes:

Madhatter243x

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2005
Boston
Saving money is cool too.

Energy costs would be higher for traditional lighting sources base on the US average of $0.12 per kWh.

If I had 6 (8.5-Watt) Light Emitting Diode Lamps (hue LED) in my TV room:
6 x 8.5W bulbs = 51 Watts total (when all are on)
51 Watts x 4 hours (approx. usage) = 204 Watt hours per day or /1000 = 0.204 kWh (kilowatt hours) per day.
0.204 kWh x 365 days per yr = 74.46 kWh per yr at $0.12 per kWh = $8.94 per yr in electricity for that room.

If I had 6 (60-Watt) Incandescent lamps (INC) in my TV room:
6 x 60W per lamp = 360 Watts total (when all are on)
360 Watts x 4 hours (approx. usage) = 1440 Watt hours per day or /1000 = 1.4 kWh (kilowatt hours) per day.
1.4kWh x 365 days per yr = 525.6kWh per yr at $0.12 per kWh = $63.07 per yr in electricity for that room.

Cost of replacement should be taken into account.
Based on a usage of approximately 4 hours per day at 365 days per yr = 1460 hours
I would replace an INC lamp (standard 60W w/1,000 hours life span) about 3 times every 2 years at about $1.50 per lamp.
I would replace a hue LED lamp (LED 8.5W w/15,000 hours life span) 1 time every 10 years at about $60 per lamp.*
* Philips mentions 15 years but that’s based on about 3 hours of use per day times 365 days per yr = 1095kWh.
My calculations are based on an hour of higher usage per day.

In 10 years I would have gone through 30 INC lamps at a cost of $45 x 6 lamps in the room = $270 (90 lamps in total)
In 10 years I would have gone through 1 hue LED lamp kit at a cost of $200 (includes 3 lamps) + $180 ($60 for each additional lamp) = $380 (for 6 lamps in total)

So lets do the math…
For INC lamps: $270 in lamp replacements over 10 years + 10 years of $63.07 in electricity costs = $900.70
For hue LED lamps: $360 for entire room for 10 years + 10 years of $8.94 in electricity costs = $449.40

The Philips hue is half the price of using INC lamps with ten times the coolness factor.
I have it... I use it... I like it!

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
Eventually link them to Siri? "Siri, turn the lights on." Siri can run on your home network via Apple Routers with wireless microphones placed through out the house.

The Mercurian

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2012

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Has the purpose of lightning changed (starting from candles going to electric lights?):rolleyes:

God used to smite us with lightning. I don't know it's true purpose now.

30506717.jpg

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
Enough of the gimmicky, useless technology crap.

It's not gimmicky nor useless.

I have this system with 6 bulbs. You don't realize how nice it is to come home to a lit house automatically. You don't have to flip switches, turn on several different lamps or anything else. It's automatic. When you go to bed, you press the all off button and you're done. Timers are great and with geo-fencing now a feature, it's even better.

Don't knock something just because you don't think it has value. I live in a large home with many lights. I honestly wish they had candelabra bulbs as well. I would change out every bulb in the house. It saves me lots of time every day.

Think of all the tasks you do everyday that are mundane that could be replaced by automation. Opening/closing curtains/blinds. Lights on/off. Etc etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.