Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Coming off the recent reveal of Philips Hue's latest fixtures, the lighting company today announced two new collections that will be available to purchase in October: "Hue Signe" and "Hue Play." While still providing all of the expected features of Hue lights -- including HomeKit support -- the new products have unique hardware builds and are aimed to enhance entertainment areas.

Starting off, the Hue White and Color Ambiance Signe Collection is a slim fixture with a solid base that comes in a Floor Light (standing at about 59 inches tall) and Table Light (just over 24 inches tall). The Signe is designed to be placed around an entertainment area and facing a wall, with indirect lighting reflection that reaches "up to the ceiling," according to the company.

Hue-Signe-2.jpg

This means that two Signe lights bordering a television can also provide bias lighting while you watch a movie or play a video game. Because the collection supports Hue White and Color Ambiance, you'll be able to choose from 16 million colors and 50,000 shades of white light to light up your room.

The Signe does not support multi-zone lighting, so you can only emit one color from one lamp at a time, but the company notes that with multiple Signe lights set up in a room you will be able to mix and match colors from multiple sources.

Hue-Signe-1.jpg

The Signe Table Light will cost $159.99 and the Signe Floor Light will cost $249.99. Both fixtures will be available for pre-order in early September and then launch in early October.

Secondly, Philips Hue has revealed the Hue Play Collection, which is also aimed at family rooms and entertainment areas. The company describes Hue Play as a "light bar" that can be placed on an entertainment center, mounted behind a TV, or simply laid on the floor to add lighting to any space.

Three light bars can be plugged into the power source that comes in the fixture's base kit, which Philips Hue says was an effort to reduce the amount of electrical sockets needed for the lights behind your entertainment center.

Hue-Play-2.jpg

In these setups, Hue Play can be placed both vertically and horizontally, providing even more opportunities for bias lighting behind a TV and pathway lighting in a hallway. The Hue Play measures 9 inches in length.

There are two kits that will be available for Hue Play: a Single Base Kit with one fixture for $69.99, and a Double Base Kit with two fixtures for $129.99. Pre-orders for Hue Play will go up in mid-September and then the collection will launch in mid-October.

If you purchase either one of these kits, Philips Hue will also sell a $59.99 Hue Play extension, which is simply another light bar at a slightly reduced price that you can add onto your existing setup by plugging it into the base kit's power source.

Hue-Play-1.jpg

Like previous Philips Hue products, Hue Signe and Hue Play can be added into your existing HomeKit ecosystem, allowing you to control the fixtures with Siri, automate them to turn on and off at specific times of the day, and add them into your favorite HomeKit scenes. Philips' recently redesigned iOS app will also provide full control over the light color, scenes, rooms, automation, and more for Signe and Play.

Additionally, today is also the day that a variety of new Philips Hue lights and fixtures launch on the company's website. These include the Adore Vanity Mirror, Adore Ceiling Light, Being Pendant, and Enchant Pendant Light. Anyone looking to expand their outdoor space with smart lighting can also pre-order the Hue Outdoor Lightstrip beginning today, ahead of an early October retail launch.

Article Link: Philips Hue Reveals New 'Signe' and 'Play' Collections to Light Up Your Entertainment Area

Reactions: LiveM and 341328

fullauto

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2012
Brisbane
I use 7 bulbs, 3 gu10’s and 3 lightstrips to light up a small loungeroom.. their output/brightness is way too low.

BUT.. I love these floorlamp$..

Reactions: sidewinder3000

hellosil

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2013
I wish they have a bulb that gives out the decent amount of light! I need bright light not a mood light...

Ikea's Tradfri has a 980 lumen bulb (White spectrum).
It works great, it is Homekit compatible and it can do the entire spectrum of white light (yellow, white, blueish, etc).

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK
I use 7 bulbs, 3 gu10’s and 3 lightstrips to light up a small loungeroom.. their output/brightness is way too low.

BUT.. I love these floorlamp$..

Crikey, how bright do you like things to be?! I have 3 bulbs, a light strip and two bloom lights in one quite large room and I rarely have them on more than 40%.

KPandian1

macrumors 65816
Oct 22, 2013
Okay for some, but the $10 LED strip lights are good enough for the TV ambient lighting, and they work with the TV's status of on/off.

GaryMumford

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2008
UK
These are cool looking, but personally I like the area around my TV to be as dark as possible to enhance the picture on my TV. Having coloured lights illuminate the area around the TV would be distracting and annoy the hell out of me.

DevNull0

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2015
I don't see the attraction of making your front room look like an Amsterdam bordello?

Neither do I, though I'm sure some people would like the look.

The other thing I don't see is why you fail to understand how these lights can be used to produce a large variety of unusual looks intended for a room that is primarily a fun entertainment space. Do you really think accent lights have to look like an Amsterdam bordello.

And I don't see why you feel it is appropriate to condescendingly insult those people who will enjoy a product that is clearly outside your interest and understanding. Let people enjoy what they want and just move on to the next article, nobody is forcing you to buy these lights. Do you honestly believe that no product should exist that you personally cannot comprehend or visualize after a solid 30 seconds of reflection. Talk about egocentrism.

And to close the circle, if someone actually does want to make their entertainment space look like an Amsterdam bordello, what gives you the right to criticize? I'm sure you do plenty of things that I (an many other people here) would find idiotic, yet we don't call you out on it.

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
I have some Hue coloured lights setup in a couple entertainment areas.

however, the syncing of the colours to your display is currently limited to being controlled via computer only and only syncs to whats on the computer screen (MAC or PC). There's no support yet for any TV, game console or add on streaming box like the Apple TV.

the feature is awesome. But needs more widespread app support. Its fine in my office/gaming room. But I don't have a computer in the living room or bedrooms, which defeats the purpose of smart TV's and the small addon boxes like Apple TV or chromecasts.
[doublepost=1534771855][/doublepost]

The other thing I don't see is why you fail to understand how these lights can be used to produce a large variety of unusual looks intended for a room that is primarily a fun entertainment space. Do you really think accent lights have to look like an Amsterdam bordello.

And I don't see why you feel it is appropriate to condescendingly insult those people who will enjoy a product that is clearly outside your interest and understanding. Let people enjoy what they want and just move on to the next article, nobody is forcing you to buy these lights. Do you honestly believe that no product should exist that you personally cannot comprehend or visualize after a solid 30 seconds of reflection. Talk about egocentrism.

And to close the circle, if someone actually does want to make their entertainment space look like an Amsterdam bordello, what gives you the right to criticize? I'm sure you do plenty of things that I (an many other people here) would find idiotic, yet we don't call you out on it.

his argument boils down to "Stop liking what I don't like"

McTaste

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2014

Jesus, do you own stock in Hue or something? All he said was that he doesn’t get it.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
So this will work like the philips tv, with active background lightning? If so, how does it get the color data from the tv image?

No. It just provides bias lighting. I don't see anything that mentions it syncing with what is displayed on the TV.

Reactions: adamdport

swester

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2010
Who the heck wants their house to look anything like the lighting in those marketing photos? I have a headache just looking at the photos, I can't imagine anyone actually wanting to live in that...

Reactions: plexdk
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.