Philips IR Remote

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Metalmorphed, May 11, 2010.

1. Metalmorphed macrumors member

Hi,
    I was wondering if it is possible to use any other remote with mac than the Apple Remote.
    I have this one: [​IMG]
    Not sure was it is called though :p And I was wondering if I can use that one with my Macbook Pro. If not, are there any other remotes I can use ?

Thanks !

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

The short answer is that any remote capable of "learning" new codes by pointing the remote to be emulated at it will be able to control your MBP without any additional software or hassle. Similarly, any universal remote that includes the Apple codes somewhere in its list of supported devices will work once it's been configured properly. No idea if that remote falls into either category.

It's possible that an alternative driver for the IR receiver in a Mac exists to let you configure it for other remotes, but I've never seen one. Keyspan also makes (or made) a combination USB IR receiver and mini remote that was Mac compatible, and if memory serves from the time I was using one, the receiver could be configured to work with just about any remote (though it wasn't easy).

3. andyphillips27 macrumors newbie

It works with the latest RemoteBuddy installed

Hi Metalmorphed, I have the same Philips remote setup working well with an old Mac Mini G4 (without IR built in) all you need to get it running is an app called RemoteBudddy, once you install it theres a driver which will recognize the Philips IR receiver and BOOM...you can control the mac with either the original Apple remotes or the existing Philips remote as in your screenshot, all I did was set the mode to "PC" and made the remote learn the Apple remote commands