Phill Schiller replied email regarding rMB connecting to Thunderbolt Display

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by lostboyz, Apr 16, 2015.

1. lostboyz macrumors member

lostboyz

Sent an email to Tim Cook if they will come out with an adapter to connect to Thunderbolt Display, in the end Phill Schiller replied saying that it only support dp, hdmi and vga display and doesn't support thunderbolt.

So I'll assume they wun be coming with an adapter or display that can connect with the new MacBook.

2. Maven1975 macrumors 6502a

Have to wonder about the future of TB now...

3. BFW122083 macrumors 6502

4. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

dp?

Is that a yes or a no? Currently I am left to assume that is a no even though intel still seems to be supporting TB.

5. pasadena macrumors 6502a

pasadena

Sounds like something I would want to read the source of.

6. iRun26.2 macrumors 68000

I think they didn't want to include another chip set on logic board.

It's pretty crowded as it is. USB-C with 10GB speed (in Skylake) will be a huge step in itself.

7. lostboyz thread starter macrumors member

lostboyz

Here's what he wrote,

Hi Jeffrey,

Thanks for asking about the new MacBook. It is an amazing notebook, and it's USB-C port is incredibly versatile with support for many formats. It can connect to displays that use DisplayPort, HDMI, and VGA. However, it does not support Thunderbolt.

Thanks,

Phil

In short, he said it doesn't support thunderbolt.

8. legioxi macrumors 6502a

The reason it isn't included is that the TB port is too big for the size of the thinner laptop. Skylake is bringing out a thinner thunderbolt port (3mm) so it may be in the next revision.

9. iRun26.2 macrumors 68000

Great! I look forward to upgrading to the Skylake version when it use released.

But if they add another port will it be for thunderbolt? I bet it will be another USB-C port (as it should be).

10. lostboyz thread starter macrumors member

lostboyz

If the next version will have tb port, I guess we can see a 5K Thunderbolt Display which can be connected to the rMB v2

11. SiskoKid macrumors 6502

Lame, I was hoping I could connect this sexy little beast to my thunderbolt iMac. Oh well :(

12. douglasf13 macrumors 65816

They'd have to change the case shape. A TB port isn't fitting on the side of the current Macbook design.

13. Four by Six macrumors newbie

Intel's developer's conference was just held in Asia, and the star of the show was a tablet development platform that had a Skylake Core M, wireless charging, and yes - a Thunderbolt port. Will TB make it to the MacBook? Who knows, but Skylake Core M chipset supports it.

14. iRun26.2 macrumors 68000

The current rMB is quite exciting but the future sounds even more exciting.

15. johngwheeler macrumors 6502

I'm confused - isn't DisplayPort part of Thunderbolt?

Could someone please clarify: was the question whether Thunderbolt as a generic data transfer protocol is supported on the rMB, or whether a Thunderbolt display will work?

My understanding was that the rMB will output DisplayPort on a mini-DP connector, which is physically identical to Thunderbolt - just limited to video data.

I would hope this means that the rMP could output to any generic DP monitor or an Apple Thunderbolt display. What seems to be unsupported is connecting the Thunderbolt data devices, such as disk drives.

Is this correct?

Thanks!

16. cfedu macrumors 65816

cfedu

The Thunderbolt display has nothing to do with DP and will not work with the MB just like it has not works with any MACs with a mini DP connector. It's unfortunate that people with Thunderbolt displays will have to get a different monitor if they want to continue using an external display.

17. gugy macrumors 68030

wow, that's lame.
    I might reconsider the rMB now. When I travel I do need to connect to a TB display that is located remotely.
    Sucks Apple let this happen.

18. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Apple "let it happen" because the MacBook probably isn't geared towards someone who wants to use TB devices. For that and portability, you buy an Air or an MBPc/r.

I also don't see this as the end of Thunderbolt, either. The MacBook is just aimed at a different market who doesn't care to use that, or might have another Mac that handles that. Portability and compactness is the main priority here, not so much endless connectivity.

19. johngwheeler, Apr 16, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2015

johngwheeler macrumors 6502

What? Are you saying that the Thunderbolt display doesn't work with any Macs with a mini-Display Port connector? That doesn't sound right to me, but I may be wrong!

Isn't the Apple Thunderbolt display just using the display-port channel of the Thunderbolt connection?

I presume you mean any computers that have mini-DP, but don't support the Thunderbolt protocol (the connectors are physically identical). I don't actually know whether there are any Macs that have mini-DP but don't support Thunderbolt?

So can you actually use a Thunderbolt display with a computer (e.g. Surface Pro) that has mini-DP, but doesn't support the full Thunderbolt protocol? I wouldn't expect the Thunderbolt pass-through to work, but it should at least work as a display, no?

Edit: I've done some more research, and you are indeed correct! It does seem a bit restrictive for the Apple Thunderbolt display to only accept "full" Thunderbolt connections, and not accept standard video input via mini-DP - I guess the hint is in the name "Thunderbolt Display" :)

However, it's a bit disappointing that the USB-C on the rMB doesn't support the full Thunderbolt protocol. I fear that Thunderbolt may not feature strongly in Apple's future hardware lineup.

20. gugy, Apr 16, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2015

gugy macrumors 68030

Well all apple laptops allow to connect to TB displays. The fact they ignore it on the rMB limits the appeal of this laptop. I was under the impression that getting the adaptor would allow it but I guess not.
    I love the concept, but right now it seems there are too many compromises. Maybe I guess need to wait for future versions or just move to another Apple laptop.

21. cfedu macrumors 65816

cfedu

The connector is the same, but that's about all you said that was correct. Mac's from early 2009 till late 2010 had Mini displayport, non of those macs are compatible with The Apple Thunderbolt display, nor is the surface pro.

22. Meister Suspended

Meister

Makes me wonder about the future of this new macbook now ...

23. johngwheeler macrumors 6502

Indeed! I was unaware of the restrictions of the Thunderbolt display. I also didn't about the Macs that had mini-DP but don't have TB - I've never plugged in anything to these sockets except ordinary non-Thunderbolt displays via DVI or VGA adapters. I am now better informed!

24. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

There where some rumours that the MacBook was scheduled initially for a Skylake release, however it was advanced due to Apple not wanting to be perceived to be behind the competition on technology with Core M.

[​IMG]

For me there is a lot of logic in this, and it`s highly likely to be included when Sylake comes to market. The extreme portability of the MacBook makes it a perfect candidate for Thunderbolt, and Apple`s associated display.

Q-6

----------

The connectors a new design and will be compatible with the MacBook at 3mm

Q-6

25. leman macrumors 604

Well, its not really an answer. Since TB is DP for all purposes video-related, does it mean that you can connect the MB to TB display (only without the benefits of having the data connection) or does it mean that the TB display will not work with MB at all?