Phillips Hue Lights Questions

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by hokiepokie07, Jan 11, 2015.

1. hokiepokie07 macrumors 6502a

These lights are fascinating, and with their support of HomeKit, will I be able to control them without the Phillips Hue Hubstation as long as I have my AppleTV?

I am guessing I will still need the Phillips Hue app, or will the HomeKit do the same thing as that, such as timers, schedule, etc.?

Thanks.

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

All of what your asking can already be done without home kit.

3. hokiepokie07 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes, but I like the idea of HomeKit and everything working on one thing, instead of having to sort through for a specific app for each item.

4. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

I can understand that but the need for an Apple TV to allow remote control away from home kind of annoys me as this feature already exists it the hue range.

5. steve knight, Jan 11, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2015

steve knight Suspended

steve knight

Phillips Hue Lights Questions

I doubt you can replace the hue hub and why would you need too? the hub is faster then other hubs so it it can sync the bulbs to music. the hub can be controlled by another device. I have a hue hub that had hue bulbs of course and a smartthings hub that did all my automation. I had GE link bulbs connected to the smart things hub. they sometimes would not turn off or get stuck on. I found I could link them to the hue hub then control the hub with smart things.

so the hue hub should link to whatever supports it. I doubt apple will come up with a better way to add bulbs or control them. hue has some good ways to control bulbs but it is lacking in automation. so the smarthings hub does that and gives me far more control of the lights and other things. knowing apple they will have a half a$$'d support at least a little while.