Phillips Universal Remote

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by fivepoint, Dec 12, 2008.

1. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

http://www.buy.com/prod/Philips-Universal-Remote-Control-TV-VCR-DVD/q/loc/58207/206609332.html

I saw this remote on Buy.com this morning, heavily discounted. I was planning on buying a logitech harmony 550 remote before today... but for $35 I'm having trouble looking away from this one.

Have any of you had experience with this remote? How do you like it? Does it work properly with the AppleTV?

EDIT: I'd specifically like to know if this can be programmed using a mac, and whether not it has compatibility with the AppleTV. Thanks guys!

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I have a friend with one and he's happy with it. Thanks for the link, I think I might pick one up.

Wow, apply for a buy.com credit card and get the remote for 5 bucks.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I've seen this a number of times on Woot.com and it always gets some rather poor comments. Amazon has 3/5 stars. If you're willing to chance it then go for it. I know I picked up a GPS unit for $100, heavily discounted, at buy.com on the chance that it may actually be great.

4. mchalebk macrumors 6502a

The Harmony remotes, with their activity-based design, just seem so much better than other remotes I've tried. After using a Harmony for a couple of years now (880, getting ready to transition to a One), I can't imagine using a remote that does not implement an activity-based approach.

5. fivepoint thread starter macrumors 65816

fivepoint

Just found a brand new (in the box) Harmony 520 on ebay for $30.00, and I jumped on it. I think the only difference between the 520 and the 550 is the 520's limitation to 12 devices at a time which is not a problem for me.

$5 less, no shipping costs, and probably a more reputable brand in the remote control business. Better reviews for sure.

6. mchalebk macrumors 6502a

7. gadabout macrumors member

if your appletv has the newest firmware, ANY multi-device remote will work with it. you just have to set your remote to an un-used device and go to the apple tv's remote settings.

8. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

I have one of the Philips Pronto remotes. Love it. The software I have doesn't run on a Mac so I have to use fusion to run the program. No complaints with it thou. Granted it is not the one listed.