PhilNet Pop-Up

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by wvtbred, Apr 5, 2009.

1. wvtbred macrumors member

I have an iMac and have never seen this but my Dad who bought an iMac on my recommendation is seeing a pop-up called PhilNet. Not much on the web about it and I think it's spyware. Anyone come across this and or just have some ideas on how to get rid of it?

Thanks

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

It's probably an advertisement from some website he's visiting. Tell him to enable Safari -> Block Pop-Up Windows.

3. wvtbred thread starter macrumors member

Appreciate it but he force quit Safari and then shutdown. Started back up and the pop up showed up again. IMO that isn't a site pop up but a worm, please tell me if I am wrong.

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Could you get a screenshot from him? Command+shift+3, a file called "Picture 1.png" should show up on his desktop.

5. wvtbred thread starter macrumors member

Thanks I will ask him to do that

6. wvtbred thread starter macrumors member

7. BigHungry04 macrumors 6502

That is just an available network for the computer to use to get on the internet.

8. MacBook.Matt macrumors regular

what you are seeing is not a pop-up from a website but rather an alert for your airport networking service. Is your dad using a wired or a wireless connection? Because it appears that the connection is not working properly, and therefore it is asking you to choose a different network. PhilNet is probably his neighbor's or something. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this appears to be more of a networking issue than a malware problem.

9. wvtbred thread starter macrumors member

I was thinking the same but he is wired (no airport) with Cox Communications and they say it isn't theirs. He lives in a community where houses are at least 300 yards from each other so I didn't think he would get a signal from someone else especially since his office is in the basement under ground. He tries to close it and it keeps popping up on him (won't go away).

10. wvtbred thread starter macrumors member

Thinking more about it I bet it is the closest neighbor. I will tell him to try to uncheck the remember box if it will let him.

Thanks Guys

11. MacBook.Matt macrumors regular

yea, try that. Have him uncheck the box that says something like "find networks automatically." A modem reset wouldn't hurt either.

12. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

No, but it wouldn't actually do anything. Don't be daft.

Right here, under  -> System Preferences -> Network:

Attached Files:

13. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

If he's using wired, he can just turn off his AirPort in the menu bar.

Problem solved.