Phishing Email

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MrMartin123, Nov 9, 2017.

1. MrMartin123 macrumors newbie

Hey,

I got an email and it had my sister's name on it and said to check out the link, being stupid that I am, I clicked on the link on my phone and safari came up but it couldn't connect to the server. I checked the email address and I don't recognise it. I'm really worried because I had mobile banking on my phone (which I changed the passcode to and also cancelled). I've also changed the passwords for my apple ID. Could my phone be hacked? Or am I just worrying too much?

Thanks

2. Sorig macrumors regular

If you didn't input anything into that site you should be good.

3. MrMartin123 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah a website didn't actually appear, I'm just worried incase my bank details are hacked, is there anyway that could be done just from me clicking on the link?

4. MrMartin123 thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay thanks, I knew I was over worrying haha

5. MacQork macrumors regular

MacQork

To be extra safe you can always just completely reset your phone and do use a backup or just start from scratch again.

6. MrMartin123 thread starter macrumors newbie

Do you mean a factory reset?

7. Sorig macrumors regular

Yes, but that's completely unnecessary in this case.

8. MacQork macrumors regular

MacQork

Like Sorig said, yes.

And like Sorig said it is most likely unnecessary.

But if you want to be 100% sure and need that piece of mind you might as well just do a factory reset as it's very little work if you just backup your photos and important stuff to your computer

9. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

I would just like to point out that while your phone can’t currently be compromised just by clicking a malicious link in an iOS device, hackers are absolutely constantly trying to figure out ways to do exactly that.

One of the early jailbreak processes involved merely clicking on a link in Safari. iOS security is robust, but nothing is impenetrable forever.

On the day the hackers finally find a way in, someone will come to macrumors and ask “I just clicked on a fake email. Nothing happened. Should I be worried about my bank account and passwords?” And someone will reply “No.”. And that person will be wrong. Very wrong. But no one will know the malicious link’s intent or capabilities until it’s too late. The hackers won’t be sending out a newsletter announcing their success in finding a way into your phone. The way we will find out is when the victims start popping up.

So even today, when there are no known ways to hack a phone’s data with a web link, a blanket statement of “don’t worry about that link you clicked” isn’t necessarily the most sage advice.

To the OP, I would monitor my bank and credit card accounts closely for the next few days and consider changing passwords to sensitive sites and email.

You very likely have nothing to worry about. This time.

10. Lobwedgephil macrumors 601

Lobwedgephil

11. MrMartin123 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, I've changed passwords for pretty much everything I use, I changed the passcode for the mobile banking and also cancelled it. I've done a factory reset. I'm not usually this careless when it comes to online security. Is there anything I can look out for?