Phishing on Mac

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by i-am-doomed, Jun 6, 2012.

1. i-am-doomed macrumors newbie

Hello,

I guess I would need to tap into this communities' expertise.

I recently received spam-mail, which looked absolutely authentic to Paypal.

The message alerted me to 'limitations' put on my account. The address ended with paypal.co.uk (but the firm informed me that they would only contact me using my name/details - so I assume this to be spam).

While I did not provide any information, I nevertheless clicked on a link ('can't read this message? - click here'). Silly me. :( Now, I wondered whether there is a chance of me detecting whether some sort of malware has been transferred onto my Mac (OS 10.6.8)

Given the recent news that Mac OS is years behind security issues, I start getting worried as a seasoned Mac owner. :confused:

Thanks!

2. cotak macrumors regular

If you have all the patches foe the recent issues and you are using chrome chances are good you are safe.

However it is basically impossible for regular users of any computer to know if they had been hit by a new exploit until bad things happens. That is the reason why Iran has been so successfully targeted lately. Which is also why apple claiming their superiority on the security front is a bit foolish.

3. aarond12, Jun 6, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2012

aarond12 macrumors 65816

aarond12

Don't believe the hype. One trojan horse application sweeps through Macs that aren't up-to-date isn't a problem with Mac OS being a security problem. That is a human issue.

I frequently get those kinds of phishing messages. Just be careful what you click in your email. If it sounds fishy, it probably is. A good trick to know is if you hover (or float) your mouse over a link in your email, the true URL will be displayed. It is a common trick for phishers to disguise the actual URL with a bogus URL.