Phising on a Mac

Discussion in 'macOS' started by joshwest, Dec 15, 2010.

1. joshwest macrumors 65816

joshwest

this is something i've always been curious about I know Mac's are very secure. But i was curious is there ways that your security can be compromised and people view your screen.

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

If you setup your machine improperly, then yes, someone could see things on your screen. Most notably, having screen sharing turned on, but not protected. This isn't phishing though. Phishing is about going to sites that appear to be a site you know (such as your bank site), but really aren't and just steal your account credentials. Every machine is vulnerable to this because the user has to be aware of where they really are and how they got there. Some browsers do try to keep track of known bad sites, but that only checks against known ones. User vigilance is the best defense against phishing.

3. loopsey macrumors newbie

phishing

i received an email this morning from facebook (or from someone pretending to be facebook) that i havent been checking my account anymore. i absent mindedly clicked the link to the messages link and the facebook log in link only to be redirected to a site with weird looking URL. thinking i clicked a wrong link, i tried again and there was a red box appearing on the screen saying that its a phishing site. now that got me scared. i immediately hit the back button and closed the window. i logged out from my email too. do i have to scan my MAcbook now or something? sorry, im a Mac newbie and im not used to not having an antivirus but that thing scared me:confused: what should i do?

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

No worries. Phishing only succeeds when you type in account info, credit card numbers, passwords. etc.