phone arrived

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by supaflyz, Dec 10, 2014.

1. supaflyz macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

My mom phone has finally arrived! Anyways I ask a question before for recommendations on how to prevent the phone from being stolen or misplace. One of the features was to turn the phone gps on? How would I do that?

2. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

GPS is already on. The only thing that can be done to prevent it from being stolen or misplaced is for your mom to keep track of it. Don't set it down in random places, don't leave it out in the open. Keep it in her pockey or in her hand.

Common sense is the only way to minimize the chances of either of those things happening.

3. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

To be clear, you need to enable location services. I assume this her first phone. When setting it up a prompt will ask whether to enable this (as well as other find my iphone features). Make sure she selects "yes".

But none of these are really prevention methods. Rather, they may help once the phone is stolen. The best prevention is to always know where your phone is at all times. Don't set it down anywhere you might forget to pick it up. Etc.

4. supaflyz thread starter macrumors newbie

I went ahead and bought her a really bright color wallet case for it so she will remember to carry it with her. Do you guys recommend tempered glass or the film cover ones for the screen? I google and found good reviews for the Tech Armor ballistic glass?

5. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

I've had four iPhones and have never used any screen protector, just a case. Never had any issue with the screen.

6. rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

some people are confused by location services.

the important thing is to enable find my iPhone, which is the default now, when you sign it up.

once find my iPhone is on, you can turn off location services all you want
    go right ahead, be my guest, save battery power

if your iPhone gets lost, all you have to do is put it in lost mode and it will force location services on , and it will stay on, until that iPhone is unlocked with your unlock code

find my iPhone is your backdoor to location services.

location services being turned off in no way prevents your iPhone from being located

7. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Turning on "find my iphone" is very important.

But, probably more important is for you to try using that service. RIGHT NOW.

Not when the phone is lost and then find out it was not turned on, etc.

Use the app.
    Send a tone to the phone
    REMEMBER THE LOGIN

8. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

One thing for sure. If she leaves it laying around, it WILL be stolen.

9. supaflyz thread starter macrumors newbie

I think I turn that feature on last night when I sign up for Icloud for my mom.
    She is loving the new phone. I might just get the 6plus even though I said before I don't want the same phone as my mom lol. She was able to learn how to use most of the basic functions in about 2 hours (she was using one of those old flip phones before so this is saying a lot. I also made the right choice in buying the Iphone for her because it was so easy for her to learn how to use it.)

The camera is nice and the screen is awesome. I might get a 6 though because it could fit in my front pocket on my scrubs when I'm at work. I looked at both at the T-Mobile store and I think the 6 plus screen is definitely better, but I think the 6 will be better suited for me.

10. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

11. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Why would you not like the same phone that your Mom has?

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think this is helpful for families and mitigates the where are you texts.

I use it to help get dinner going. Once I know my wife is close to home, I can get dinner going. She'll not answer he texts once she's in the car driving.