Phone Call forces phone to 1G?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Deadman64, Aug 2, 2009.

1. Deadman64 macrumors 6502a

About 75% of the time, whenever I make/receive a call, my phone's coverage goes down from 3G/E to just 1G. Then after I'm done with the call it will hop back up to 3G after ten seconds.

I'm not sure why it does this (I have 3G in the areas this is occurring, so it's not that I'm simply dropping to 1G.), can anyone shed some light on the situation? or does anyone else get this, this surely can't be normal...?

I'm on an iPhone 3G btw.

Thanks.

2. cobaltchroma macrumors regular

cobaltchroma

this happens to me all the time.
    my 3G or E icon will either disappear all together when im receiving/on a call, or it switches to a tiny little "o".

3. davyreins macrumors 6502

This happened with one of my previous 3Gs. I was also having problems with dropped calls or the phone not receiving them at all so I had to get it replaced, haven't had a problem with my current 3G (and I'm in the same location).

I'm assuming you've restored the phone and what not, maybe it's the sim card? I got a new sim card when I got the new phone too so unfortunately I wasn't able to isolate what was causing the problem.

4. FXT 1 macrumors 6502

Same, happens all the time, I lose my cellular data connection every time I make/receive a call. No biggie though... :rolleyes:

5. t0mm macrumors regular

Exactly. It's not like you use the internet during a call..
    Oh and what is 1G? :| You mean GPRS..

6. DuckSoup macrumors 6502a

DuckSoup

I use it during a call at times. Don't tell me you didn't know that you could do that. It's the first thing I checked out at the ATT store. Comes in quite handy at times.

Mike

7. DuckSoup macrumors 6502a

DuckSoup

t0mm, I just noticed you are in the UK. Maybe you can't use the internet during a call in the UK? (or again, maybe you can and just didn't know)

Mike

8. caligurl macrumors 68030

caligurl

uhm..... no.... i didn't/don't know that! :eek:

9. AllieNeko macrumors 6502a

You're dropping to analog? That's not possible given the phone has no analog and outside of two special GAIT phones, GSM and analog aren't compatible.

Dropping to GSM (2G) if the network tells you to for capacity reasons doesn't surprise me at all. It won't affect your experience whatsoever. Voice doesn't travel faster on UMTS (3G)

10. t0mm macrumors regular

No we can.

I just didn't think people used it during a conversation :confused:.

Obviously I was wrong.

Apologies to the OP.