Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Frejusman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 13, 2015
jusg wondered if anyone knew how to change the settings as when I’m on a phone call and want it on loudspeaker I press the speaker button and then have to select loudspeaker as gives you the options of phone loudspeaker or apple watch?

Reactions: Cayden

Nigel Goodman

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2017
UK
Yes, I find this really annoying as well (the choices change according to where you are with the iPhone). I like to answer calls without my glasses, and having to make a second choice is quite difficult under these circumstances. I can see the big speaker button, but then the small text is impossible to read.

ZEEN0j

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2014
This is annoying when I’m home. I get my iMac and MacBook as choices as well.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Have a selector that allows the phone to remember your choice.
Software designers have to think about everyone's use case, not just a few users. Suppose the phone remembered that you wanted to send audio to the speaker when you press the button, you're now wearing AirPods and press the button. The speaker turns on and you get mad. How do you deal with that case? Do you now need another button go change the audio?

And remember the audio outputs are dynamic. At home you might see a HomePod. If the phone remembers that setting and you're out of the house, what should happen when you touch the speaker button? What if the remembered setting is AirPods and I'm no longer wearing them?

My point is that your preference can change based on the situation. Asking the user where the audio should go seems like a reasonable question to me.

Last edited:
Reactions: digitalexplr

Nigel Goodman

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2017
UK
If software designers were really thinking about everyone then consideration should also be made for those people (like me) who do not use AirBuds or headphones or HomePods or external speakers to answer or make calls! All we (I) want to do is for the sound to go to the phone's headset speaker first OR the phone speaker if the button is pressed. My selector would be to include or exclude external speakers and headphones. The question about other choices would be reasonable if that is what we wanted. Sorry to be selfish.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
If software designers were really thinking about everyone then consideration should also be made for those people (like me) who do not use AirBuds or headphones or HomePods or external speakers to answer or make calls! All we (I) want to do is for the sound to go to the phone's headset speaker first OR the phone speaker if the button is pressed.
That's exactly how it works today. If you don't use any external devices, then pressing the button takes it directly to speaker.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.