Phone call recording in iOS4??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by joeworrall, Jun 20, 2010.

1. joeworrall macrumors newbie

I know that currently if you are in a phone call and you open the recorder app, it tells you to end the call before the feature will work.

With the new multitasking, can the recorder be activated before answering a call and then continue to record both voices if i put the caller on loud speaker? (im assuming the microphone is sensitive enough to be able to pick up speech from loud speaker)

I do not live in the U.S so do not need to comply with your call recording laws before anyone starts mentioning stuff about both parties being aware of the recording.

thanks.

2. Jason S. macrumors 6502a

Multitasking will not change this, as it was previously able to "multitask" with the phone call and voice recorder app anyway. The reason is does not let you record is for the very reason you mentioned: in the US, you cannot record somebody on the phone without their permission.

It would be good if the recorder automatically transmitted some kind of pre-recorded message to the other person informing them of the recording starting. Whether it's legal or not where you are, I think the person deserves to know if they are being recorded. If you want to be sneaky and not tell them, I'd think something fishy's up with that.

Anyway, if you want it, let Apple know: http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html

3. N2glox macrumors newbie

This is wrong. State laws guide this and it is legal in many states to record phone calls when only one party knows of the recording. Also, there are professionals who want to record calls.

There are worse illegal things that can be done with the camera than a phone call recorder. There was an app for my Treo that allowed this with no problems. Apple needs to not worry about this issue and let us take responsibility for our actions.

4. ikaveh macrumors regular

This is ridiculous too:
    imagine someone is threatening or disturbing you through a phone call and you should get his/her permission to record the conversations :D
    I was able to do that with my clumsy nokia!!

5. patent10021 macrumors 68030

patent10021

Wow...this isn't doable in 2010? I thought this was normal for iPhones/smart phones. One of the main reasons why I was looking forward to buying a new iP4. I have been wanting to record all the calls I make to banks, companies and other places so I can improve my language skills.

There is no way to record phone calls in the iPhone? :eek: I can record calls with my crappy old mobile phone here however the recordings are restricted to 30 seconds which doesn't do me any good.

6. moussekateer macrumors 6502a

moussekateer

On all phones up to the iPhone 3GS, recording phone calls has been impossible and I don't see any reason to believe it's different on the iPhone 4. The reason is technical. The iPhone decodes the GSM and 3G data completely in the baseband and not on the system processor (probably to reduce load). The decoded voice data goes straight to the iPhone speaker, it never passes through the operating system. This means it's actually impossible to ever write an app to record phone calls, jailbroken phone or not, with the current way the phone works.

7. patent10021 macrumors 68030

patent10021

Interesting. So five year old mobile phones can record calls but 2010 iP4s can't. Sux. I've been so looking forward to this feature that doesn't exist.

Shocked really.

8. M-5 macrumors 65816

M-5

Only 1 person has to be aware of a recording.

9. fsck-y dingo macrumors 65816

fsck-y dingo

Well, if you're ok with jailbreaking Google Mobile lets you do this. It's not subtle about it at all though. I haven't used it in a while but it has a computer voice that says "Call recording" or something similar to that.

10. patent10021 macrumors 68030

patent10021

Well the other Japanese person wouldn't even know what I'm doing let alone care. It's just to keep tabs of my language progress.

Unfortunately, I'm not into jailbreaking. But between this and unlocking maybe I need to.

Gosh this seems like such a step backwards in tech to not be able to record a call.

This looks interesting. And it works. You guys didn't know about it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ywqso8ddTJo
    http://www.recordertheapp.com/

I'm so sad because it only works in the US.

11. pcorrado macrumors 6502

Didn't Mel Gibson's ex-wife (wife?) claim that she recorded his violent phone calls with the voice recorder app? Which is interesting since it is impossible to do unless he called another phone and she recorded it. I honestly don't know all the details.

12. Statusnone88 macrumors 65816

Statusnone88

Did you listen to those audio clips? OH MY GOD they were PRICELESS!

I got my fix of them with a little bit extra, courtesy of the Lex and Terry Radio Network.

13. w3iiipu macrumors member

havent tried it...
    but i know there is a recording feature on google voice which allows you to record incoming call at anytime by pressing 4.

14. frunkis54 macrumors 65816

frunkis54

like the person said above some states its only 1 person in others both parties need to agree.

15. frunkis54 macrumors 65816

frunkis54

Opie and anthony have been doing a good job playing all the audio clips also.