Phone calls from iPad

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by jaredlipsitz, Sep 15, 2014.

1. jaredlipsitz macrumors member

I can easily make calls from Mac via iPhone, but when I try from iPad it says it can't because 'iPhone and iPad need to be on same wifi network'. They are on same network...

Anyone else have this problem?

2. Purex, Sep 16, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2014

Purex macrumors member

Phone calls from iPad

Finally someone with the same problem ! I was afraid something was wrong with my wifi network or FaceTime settings, that could stop phone calls to go through. Well, some details:
    I've tried all sort of combinations , from the contact in FaceTime being my phone number as well as being my email ( same as iCloud ), and none of them works.

iCloud and FaceTime are logged to the same iCloud email. And the option to make cellular calls is enabled in both IPad 4 and iPhone 5. Tried rebooting, tried deactivate and activate FaceTime , with no luck.

Strangely when I get home, all calls that I made / received during the day in the iPhone , are listed in the iPad FaceTime log.

In a side note this worked flawlessly in the first day I installed the GM , but it stopped working suddenly.

I hope it is server side and it will be fixed somehow along with the public release.

Edit: I brought the iPad to work and it works here with this wifi network.

The problem it seems to be related to my home wifi. Should I try to open some ports in my router or something like that ?

3. b11051973 macrumors regular

I installed iOS 8 GM on my iPhone 5s and iPad Air and can't get the phone calling or handoff stuff to work at all. I have tried a million things and nothing fixes it. I thought maybe it was a router issue, but I've got an Airport Extreme. You'd think if this stuff worked on any router, it would be an Apple made one.

4. Solver, Sep 16, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2014

Solver macrumors 6502a

Calling from an iPad 3 using iPhone 5 to iPod Touch 5 using hangouts app linked to phone number, works for me.
    As a troubleshooting step, have you tried turning off your cellular data and blue tooth settings and confirmed that ONLY your local internet is connected to by both devices?

5. Purex macrumors member

Ok i solved it.

It was all about the wifi password encryption method.

My home network had WPA-PSK+WPA2-PSK enabled and as soon as changed to only WPA2-PSK , it worked immediately and the call went through IPAD and iPhone.

Give it a try - hope it helps.