Phone calls in the car

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by jomo25, Apr 30, 2015.

1. jomo25 macrumors regular

Question on if/how phone calls get handled when in a car:

If I'm in my car, and the phone is connected to the Bluetooth hands-free, and I initiate a call from the Watch, shouldn't the call audio still be routed through the car speakers? It re-routes through the Watch. Is there a way to transfer it over to the car's audio?

Yes, I guess I could just use the car's contact list to initiate the call rather than the Watch. But, the car doesn't have my VIPs list like the contact circle on the Watch.

If this doesn't work, that's fine. I guess I thought it would still route thru the car if initiated on the Watch, but BT connected via car. Or at least give me an option (like Force Touch) to select the Audio source.

2. j0nblayz macrumors member

j0nblayz

yes I noticed this too. Only way I found to transfer to my car BT was on the phone. Hopefully apple updates this

3. immigrantsong macrumors member

Same thing here. I kept thinking there was a setting I missed, but there doesn't seem to be one for this. I also thought that after the watch started dialing, that I could "force touch" the Watch or use the Crown to scroll up/down to some kind of option to transfer it to the iPhone.

But it appears that none of that is possible currently. I can of course reach over to my iPhone and wake up the screen then slide up on the phone app icon (for Handoff) and it will transfer to the iPhone and then I can hear it on the car's speakers.

But ideally what I'm sure a lot of us will want is to be able to use Siri to tell it who to call and for it to recognize that the iPhone is connected to the car via Bluetooth and to automatically switch over to the iPhone.

Hopefully Apple will address that need before too long. (Surely someone at Apple recognizes the need for that, right?)

4. yalag macrumors 65816

Well this isn't a bug, it's intended. Just think about it.

What happens when you are out of the car? When you dial from the watch, it stays on the watch, unless you manually transfer it to the phone.

When you are in the car, the BT connection is with your phone, not your watch. So if you start a call from there, it behaves just the same as before, it stays on the watch. You CAN however, transfer it to the phone using the button or handoff from the phone's lock screen. Once transferred, the BT off the phone will pick it up and route it to the car's audio.

5. caligurl macrumors 68030

caligurl

when i get in my car and i make or answer a call, it goes through the car....

i did receive a text and that both tapped my wrist, and still came through the car to be read to me....

i didn't make any changes to any settings. however, different vehicles may require setting adjustments.

6. Lizardo90 macrumors member

If i start a call through the watch it goes through the Bluetooth in the car...I find very cool now that i just say hey siri on my watch and immediately it goes to my car speakers. Much easier then making a call through the integrated screen

7. caligurl macrumors 68030

caligurl

hmmmmm... now i'm going to have to try that! i don't have to deal with the screen when making calls..... just press the button on my steering wheel.... and talk to siri from there.... but i'm gonna try "hey siri" when i leave work today! :D

8. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

It is understandable that it starts on the watch...but just add a force touch menu that says "Source" and lets you select watch, phone, or any other bluetooth headset paired to your phone. The issue is having to take out your phone in the first place.

9. danmart macrumors 6502a

danmart

I don't have my watch yet, but I've been thinking about this. Maybe try linking your Watch to the car via Bluetooth rather than your phone? Then when you start a call from the Watch it should use the car speakers?