Phone calls on GPS (non-LTE) without Bluetooth connection and without WiFi Calling - possible?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by kubaw, Oct 25, 2018.

1. kubaw macrumors newbie

OK, I've been digging through forum posts and support docs and blogs and cannot find a definite answer, so here's my scenario.

1. Apple Watch 4 GPS (non cellular) paired with iPhone SE. Both with newest OSes.
    2. Devices are not within Bluetooth range, but both are powered on and connected to WiFi (but two different ones, one at work and one at home).
    3. My carrier does not support WiFi Calling at all so it is not possible to enable it on my iPhone, not to mention placing phone calls using WiFi Calling from the Watch. I can only voice talk over cellular.

In this scenario my Watch and iPhone apparently talk to each over over the Internet. I can send and receive both iMessage and text messages, I also receive app notifications on my watch despite my iPhone being 2 miles away. So far OK.

But: I cannot receive nor start a phone call from my Watch. Is it possible at all? I mean: route a phone call from my Watch over the Internet and my iPhone, just as it is done when two devices are connected over Bluetooth? If so - how do I enable this?

Also: would it make any different if devices were on the same WiFi network (I didn't try this scenario though because it is definitely less useful).

Regards,
    Kuba

2. akash.nu macrumors 604

akash.nu

3. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

I do not see how the AW4 without cellular can be expected to make or receive phone calls.

You would need a Cellular LTE AW to do this.

4. akash.nu macrumors 604

akash.nu

Ah yes. Apologies. Didn’t read the watch configuration properly.

5. kubaw thread starter macrumors newbie

What is so special about this? The same way as it is able to send/receive texts. By routing through iPhone. I just want that this Watch is connected to iPhone over the Internet and not via Bluetooth.

6. akash.nu macrumors 604

akash.nu

How do you suppose the watch connect to the internet without WiFi or LTE network?! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

7. CobraPA macrumors 6502a

Well, I agree that FaceTime call may work. I think you are assuming something that is not the case though. The watch and phone do not 'connect to each other over the internet', as I understand it.

They both connect to iCloud. Apple has setup certain things to be forwarded through iCloud for you. I supposed they could start doing this for voice calls, but have not heard of this being the case (except for FaceTime... which is an iCloud service.)

I would expect FaceTime to work even if your phone was not on. It should work on Wifi from your watch by itself. (Unlike SMS, which still needs to go back through your iPhone to the cellular carrier.)

8. akash.nu macrumors 604

akash.nu

The OP is saying the watch will not be connected either to WiFi or to LTE.

9. kubaw thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't know which part about this:

is unclear to you?
    --- Post Merged, Oct 25, 2018 ---
    No. The OP said exactly otherwise.
    Yes, you could be right, that Watch and iPhone sync over cloud.

On the other hand - you can make a cellular phone call from your MacBook (Handoff) - I was looking for something like this. On the other hand again - this phone call Handoff works only over local WiFi (both devices in the same WiFi) and this is probably for a reason.

Thanks.

10. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

The AW and it’s “meager” processor will never do FaceTime, period!

If you do not have a LTE Watch, you can not play Dick Tracey!
    There is a HUGE difference in the data required to send a text and one to do something like FaceTime. What you want to do is not going to happen.

11. akash.nu macrumors 604

akash.nu

Sorry mate, got confused between your title and the post. Do FaceTime calls will work in your case.

12. CobraPA macrumors 6502a

You have not heard of FaceTime audio? Sorry, didn’t mean to confuse you. FaceTime has both video and audio only modes now. You can try it yourself. Just have someone call you with FaceTime, the Watch and phone will both ring, but watch falls back to FaceTime audio.

13. tromboneaholic, Oct 26, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2018

tromboneaholic Suspended

tromboneaholic

Wi-Fi calling on iCloud devices works, if you have Wi-Fi and your carrier supports it (which does not apply to OP, obviously). Otherwise, I don't see how it could be done.

14. iamasmith macrumors 6502

iamasmith

If the original 'All the Little Things' thread were still around I'm sure I would be able to point this out on there.

Since watchOS 2 you can receive FaceTime audio AND if you happen to be on a internet connected Wifi network that your watch can join AND your phone is on another AND you have routers that allow all the hookup through iCloud then yes you can receive calls routed to the watch by the phone - repeating, that's all since watchOS 2.

Making calls is a different matter though and since I have a cellular watch only now I can't tell you if it allows you to initiate a call from remote the same way that you can when you are in bluetooth range.