Phone calls on GPS vs LTE S3 versions

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by suncountry, Sep 15, 2017.

1. suncountry macrumors member

I am new to the Apple watch space. What has your experience been making phone calls without LTE? Would you anticipate the quality would improve with LTE on the watch or will it be the same as GPS. You just won't need your phone to be in range.

Appreciate feedback on the difference you think there may be in these two versions and phone calls.

2. chiefs1968 macrumors regular

I think you meant calls over wifi right?
    I have a business and my Watch remembers the wifi so I can walk anywhere around the business without my phone and I will receive text and calls on my Watch as long it's connected to Wifi. I can say there are at least 20 or more places I have been to with open wifi and my remembers all of them so I basically leave my phone in the car. I really don't care for lte

3. suncountry thread starter macrumors member

Yes. Was trying to use the labels they are using for the different versions of the watch. So it is the range of your wifi that it uses. If I am in the car, would it connect to my phone to call (like a hands free call through watch)? My phone is typically buried in my bag. Would be nice to make a quick call using siri and watch.

4. eagleglen macrumors 65816

eagleglen

All of the series 3 watches will have a new W2 chip for wireless, even those without LTE. I'm hoping this improves wifi calls over the series 2 and earlier watches, but we won't know for sure until it's released.

5. suncountry thread starter macrumors member

Does that mean phone calls on older versions weren't that good?

6. eagleglen macrumors 65816

eagleglen

I don't know. But maybe now they're better???

7. clauzzz203 macrumors 6502

Calls on wifi are very clear. By definition calls on LTE cannot be as clear since it is a cellular service versus a fixed wi-fi network.

8. ANDJOE macrumors regular

ANDJOE

Phone calls over the previous generations of AW have been acceptable but a little awkward. The volume of the speaker isn’t quite loud enough to make for a comfortable experience. I’ll bet there has been some real advancements in the Series 3.

9. tivoboy macrumors 68040

I believe that the phone calls on the Series 2 are going over wifi, but not direct to the phone. The watch will attach directly to the wifi hotspot that the phone has authenticated to and pair directly with the hotspot. The call on wifi is routed directly to the watch when in the wifi LAN bubble