phone calls over aux-in

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by dipdog, Aug 18, 2008.

1. dipdog macrumors newbie

Is anyone aware of any car chargers with aux-in that will allow the iphone 3G to play phone calls over the car speakers via the aux-in line?

2. dipdog thread starter macrumors newbie

Alternatively, does anyone know if the original Iphone was able to play a phone call over the car speakers via the aux-in connector on a car charger?

3. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

You can only hear the call over the speakers if you use the headset jack. If you use the line-out from the dock connector then the call will come out over the internal iPhone speaker. Bit a of a pain in the backside because i have my iPhone connected up that way :(

4. bbotte macrumors 65816

bbotte

Just buy the monster cable of Headphone to headphone size jack to use the Aux in to your car and it will work. That is what I do, and it works, just make sure the volume is up on the iPhone for the headphones. Also yes this worked on the 2.5G iPhone.

5. dipdog thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies! Just wanted to make a quick follow up to both.

TBI, is it your understanding that the aux-in connector on a charger won't work with phone calls because the phone was never intended to be used that way, or because Apple hasn't released any compatible chargers yet (ie. do you think that option will be available as new chargers are released)? Did the original iPhone permit this function?

Bbotte, are you describing connecting a cable between the headphone jack and the aux-in connector on the stereo, or something different? I was trying to avoid having to make two connections every time I put the phone into the holder, one to the headphone jack and one to the power connector. I thought that using the aux-in line on a charger might solve that problem.

Thanks again for your help.

6. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

You'll have to make the connection to the headphone jack to get the phone call. Using the iPhone dock i don't get the call over the speakers. Maybe apple might release a dock with this functionality but as far as i know the only audio output from the dock connection is the line-out.

7. yoAlex macrumors member

yoAlex

That's my car setup ... car stereo's Aux-In connected to iPhone (first-gen) Headphone Jack ... agreed, make sure you crank the stereo volume all the way up to hear the caller (volume is a bit low in my car, still functional, just low) - and most important, turn volume DOWN if you are resuming iPod functionality ... actually its really nice when you are playing music and an incoming call arrives, music turns down and you hear your ringer.

8. bigdaddymac macrumors regular

When you have your iphone connected via the headphone jack to the AUX car input, how do the callers on the other end hear your voice? Does the iphone internal mic pick it up?

In my experience, callers are hearing their own voices echoing in the background when they speak, when the iphone is connected to the AUX. Anyone else experience this? And if so, how do you prevent?