phone calls to car speakers

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Red Fuji, Aug 9, 2013.

1. Red Fuji macrumors member

Red Fuji

iphone 4/4s calls are not going to the car speakers.

It was working fine when I was using a 3.5mm pin wire from the headphone Jack to radio aux input. I decided to simplify by getting something that can handle both functions with one connection from iphon-charger and phone calls. The wire i got has a 30 pin connector at one end and branches out to two wires;one wire is a USB and other is a 3.5mm pin. It routes music to car speakers fine but wont route phone calls. Is that an iphone limitaiton or a wiring limitation? It really sucks because I was hoping to have just one wire coming out of iphone instead of two like I had before.
    :cool:

2. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Sounds like it's because you're now using the dock connector instead of the headphone jack.

3. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

That's right. Phone calls do not route through the 30-pin connector.

You could get an A2DP Bluetooth receiver/handsfree such as this one. That way you'd be down to one cord (power) on your phone.

4. Red Fuji thread starter macrumors member

Red Fuji

Thanks for the Belkin suggestion but i wish i dont need it - plus I want to play iphone stored music over the car speakers-hence the aux cable.
    Content stored on phone can play through the 30 pin connector but phone calls can’t ?? – why why Apple? was that too much for Apple?

5. ninaspears macrumors newbie

can anyone advise me that how can i connect 3.5mm jack phone with number of speakers?

6. madsci954 macrumors 68030

Get one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/FlexSMART-Transmitter-Hands-Free-Blackberry-Smartphones/dp/B003PPGOC0

Connects to your phone with Bluetooth and transmit either over Aux or FM. You can stream your music (controlled on your phone) and switches to hands-free when you get a call. It also has a USB port to charge your phone. I've been using this particular model for several months with no issue.

7. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

The device I linked to, and others like it, will route whatever you play to your car's aux port. Either I don't understand what you mean or you don't understand the device.

----------

As far as I can tell that device doesn't have an aux "out". It has an aux "in" according to the amazon.com page.

8. Red Fuji thread starter macrumors member

Red Fuji

BrianBaughn,
    Thanks for the clarification-i didnt study the device close enough; that's a great solution ! i also see they make one without blue tooth ($30 less) but i like the Bluetooth version :) -one less wire to phone.

1. about how long is the wire from the cig jack to the Call/Play button?

9. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

Don't know for sure. Looks like it's the standard 3ft.

You should shop around for these. There might be a better/cheaper offering from a different company.

10. madsci954, Aug 13, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2013

madsci954 macrumors 68030

Unless that's an older version, it has both Aux in and out, I'm currently using the Aux out cable on my unit.

Update: not sure if that image is old or the unit is the old one, but my unit has a 5V/1A USB port where as this one has a 5V/600mA port. Also: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/71B45aKJjiL._SL1200_.jpg