phone capability on touch?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by 152pilot, Jan 3, 2009.

1. 152pilot macrumors newbie

Was just thinking of this today -- now that there is a mic compatible with the iPod touch, whats to stop someone from making an app like skype? Obviously apple would try to stop this, but would it be possible?

2. MacbookAlum1536 macrumors regular

MacbookAlum1536

I think its already happening there is an app called Fring which lets you skype

3. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

There are several apps for this.
    Fring - has skype support
    Pinger Phone - Is soon to get phone features for iPod touch
    TruPhone - Phone service for iPod touch. Very, very cheap calls. Like, a few cents. And it comes preloaded with $.50 credit. You can top up your credit whenever you want.

And you can use the new headphones that have a built in mic.
    http://store.apple.com/us/product/MA850G/A?fnode=MTY1NDA3NA&mco=MzAyNTA3OA
    http://store.apple.com/us/product/MA850G/A?fnode=MTY1NDA3NA&mco=MzAyNTA3OA

4. 152pilot thread starter macrumors newbie

And I thought I had just come up with a brilliant idea, LOL!

5. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

Sorry to bring your hopes up. :p

6. sjleworthy macrumors 65816

sjleworthy

I'm pressuming all this is just Gen 2 capable?

7. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

Yes, only 2G.
    Although, I believe there are 3rd party mics that will work with the 1G.

8. justan macrumors member

Screw truphone and their cheap calls. Call anywhere in the world FREE with voipbuster!!! I use it on my touch and it works great :D

9. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

Hmm... never heard of that one.
    I'll download it now.

EDIT: I searched... and... guess what? No results. I have a feeling you made it up. Link?

10. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

11. justan macrumors member

lol i probably should have mentioned its not an app. But you can use it with an app.

1.Go to the app store and download the "Fring" app(free)
    2.Go to www.voipbuster.com (on your computer)
    3.click the "Download" link on the top
    4.Scroll to where it says "Mac and Linux users click here" and click that, EVEN IF ON A PC.
    5.Fill out the info
    6.Once all your info is filled out wou will need to go back to your ipod. Open the "Fring" app.(If your not already signed up, register for a free account)
    7.Once registered(or in fring) click "More" then "Add Ons" then "Sip"
    8.Click "Voipbuster"
    9.Type in your voipbuster account info. If successful it should say subscribed to sip or something like that.
    10.Now you can go to "Dialer" and type any number you want. If you are calling in the US you need to type 1 then the number. Dont press "cellular" or "skype", make sure you click "Sip" and it should start calling.

If you want to get a free phone number to i can tell ya

12. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

That sounds awesome!
    I already had Fring, just didn't use it as much because it doesn't keep you signed in. I'll probably do this.
    How can we get our own number and does it tell you when you have a missed call?

13. justan macrumors member

***To call you gotta be singed into wifi and to recieve calls you need to be in wifi. ***

The only time i received a call was to test it, so i didnt miss it so i dont really know.

Anyway, to get a number-

1.Go to http://www.ipkall.com/ (on your computer)
    2.Click "Sign up"
    3.For account type make sure "Sip" is checked.
    4.Chose your area code from the ones provided
    5.For "sip phone number" its just your voipbuster username
    6.for "sip proxy" its sip.voipbuster.com
    7.You need a valid email adress or you wont get your phone number. Fill out the email adress so you can get your number.
    8.For password i think its your voipbuster password. Thats what i did. Im not sure so just use your voipbuster password to be on the safe side(i did)
    9.for "# of seconds before hanging up" just let that be unless you want to change it.
    10.Type in the verification code and click "submit" and now you should revieve your phone number at the provided email.

***It takes about a week to receive your phone number. Took about 5 days for me so be patient. If you dont receive calls at least once every 30 days your account will be terminated***

14. vinay427 macrumors 6502a

vinay427

Just so you know, after reaching the last step in Voipbuster, I found out free calls are limited to 1 minute each. You have to buy credits to call longer. :mad: There is a service called iCall that has developed its own app for iPhone/iPod Touch that is currently being approved by Apple. On the Mac/PC version calls are limited to 5 minutes each but hopefully it will be unlimited for the mobile version.

15. justan macrumors member

They arent limited. I called my grandma and we talked for 30 minutes. though i do think there is a limit to how many calls you make a day. I can usually make 2-3 successful calls a day and then the calls stop going through.

16. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

Yes, I believe you're right. But last time I researched the matter, it appeared that those sorts of Dock Connector mics would only work with Jailborken apps, not with apps that were written with the official SDK for distribution through the App Store.

The mics that are designed to work through the 2G iPod touch's headphone jack are fully supported by the SDK.

17. TheBaldOne macrumors newbie

I dont have a mic, but I tried this and it worked...In Canada at that...WOW