Phone connection question

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by patseguin, Jul 28, 2015.

1. patseguin macrumors 65816

patseguin

When I was in the Apple Store, the guy told me something and I am not sure if it is true. He said that as long as my watch and iPhone are on the same wireless network, they will talk to each other regardless of distance or Bluetooth. He said he knows people that can leave their phone in a room and go out and mow the lawn the watch still communicates. If I leave my phone docked in the kitchen, and just go to another room, I get the red disconnected icon. Was what that guy said incorrect?

2. exxxviii, Jul 28, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2015

exxxviii macrumors 65816

exxxviii

This is true, but it could be a configuration problem with your WiFi network. Do you have your 5GHz and 2.4Ghz networks on the same SSID and same password? That solves a lot of peoples' problems with this.

Also, do you have one access point or multiple access points? And, do you have a range extender? The configuration of access points and range extenders can also mess up the watch's connection.

3. patseguin thread starter macrumors 65816

patseguin

Hmm, I wonder if this could also be my problem with connecting it to my Apple TV. I have a cable modem with wireless but use a Netgear router in bridge mode. My home's wireless devices use the 2.4GHz network for compatibility. The phone is on the 2.4GHz network. The watch doesn't have any wireless network settings that I can find. The 5GHz network has the same SSID and password although I don't use it. How can I troubleshoot this to see if the watch is on the wireless network?

4. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Try forgetting the network on your iPhone and re-connect, which will transmit the password to your Watch.

5. patseguin thread starter macrumors 65816

patseguin

Here is my question. Will my watch show the red disconnected icon even if I am on wifi but out of range of Bluetooth? I've tried pinging the phone and Siri and it works right now. Still won't connect to Apple TV though.

6. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

No, you get the disconnected icon when you're not connected at all (whether wifi or Bluetooth).

It's obviously not connected via wifi if you get disconnected when taking it to the next room.

7. exxxviii macrumors 65816

exxxviii

I would tear it down to the simplest possible network, and then build up from there. So...

1) Remove the Netgear from the system, turn on the WiFi in the cable modem, but only the 2.4GHz. Test watch and ATV connectivity.

2) Turn on the 5GHz connectivity on the cable modem and confirm that everything still works.

3) Shut WiFi off on the cable modem, and re-connect the Netgear. Setup the Netgear as a route (not bridge or access point mode). Turn on the 2.4GHz WiFi only and test that with the watch and ATV.

4) Turn on the Netgear's 5GHZ WiFi and test again to see if it all still works.

5) Restore the Netgear to access point mode and test that. Theoretically, if it worked as a full router, it should continue to work in AP mode.

The other variable is your ATV-- is that connected via a WiFi network or wireless? If it is wireless, try temporarily connecting it via a wired network to see if that affects connectivity there.