Phone Decision: More Difficult Than I Thought

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by testcss, Oct 19, 2011.

1. testcss, Oct 19, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2011

testcss macrumors member

I'm deciding whether or not to purchase a new galaxy nexus from Google. I've used an iPhone before and an android phone before (Droid X which I traded in for the iPhone). Originally when I tried the android phone I disliked it because it was rather unintuitive and laggy on android 2.1 software. the iPhone was good and as such owning an iOS product has accumulated me material in Apple's ecosystem. when the 4S came out I was disappointed, but I really believed that no other phone out there could compare to an iPhone even when Apple speed bump updated it. I bought the new iPhone 4S and was happy for the 1st day or so, then realized it wasn't as fast as I thought it would be, Siri wasn't as amazing as I 1st thought, and iOS 5 was good but not groundbreaking. now I'm caught between keeping the 4S or getting the new galaxy nexus. I found the pros and cons of each very difficult to weigh so I'm asking for your opinions.

I know this is an Apple fan site but I believe your opinions be more valuable because you can more accurately weigh how much the IOS ecosystem is worth compared to hardware advancements. I own approximately $50 worth of apps for my iPhone, but the whole ecosystem thing plays in with iCloud and the fluid syncing to my Mac. with android 4.0 I don't know how smooth the OS is but since it's now coming to Verizon I have the chance to get a pure Google device. when I was initially viewing other phones, the only android phone I even considered buying would be a pure nexus phone, but the only phone available at the time was the old nexus S. am I foolish to consider buying the new galaxy nexus with its beautiful screen? Should I stick with my phone now and wait for the iPhone 5 to hopefully bring a more significant update? I should add that I've rather big hands so size does not matter. Also I understand that the galaxy nexus is actually in possession of the slower processor and graphics chip than the iPhone 4S, but as many people pointed out specs don't matter. Has anyone specifically played with both android and IOS to determine if the significant new features in the galaxy nexus such as the full HD screen, NFC technology, and android ice cream sandwich is worth the move for me to android.

Please be impartial as possible as either party gone over the pros and cons and am now asking for your opinions since I found myself to be nearly impossible to choose between 2 good things. thanks for all your help and I know ultimately it's my decision but I'd really like your opinions.

2. simsaladimbamba

Maybe use a paragraph and break to make your text readable, as of now, it is just a wall of text.
    To edit your posts, use the [​IMG] button.

Since Androids are a bit harder to synch with Macs, I would go for the iPhone.
    I have an Android phone, a Moto Defy, which is an okay phone, but the experience is quite often just *****.

3. testcss thread starter macrumors member

Sorry, I have a larger monitor and the lines are very long and separating it into paragraphs make the paragraphs look choppy. Alas, one downside of a large monitor.

Has anyone tried a Nexus device and enjoyed the experience?

4. simsaladimbamba

I have a wide monitor too (1920 pixel), but the brain is not accustomed to reading one long line after the other,
    look at books or magazines and newspapers, the last one being very wide,
    but using columns to make for easier readability. For a small text like this post, breaks and paragraphs are not that important, but you crammed a lot of information into so few lines, it makes it harder to process. Just a thought. :)

5. howardnow macrumors member

Android phones are temping, but here are a couple of things to consider:

Software and virus updates.
    You will always be waiting for these. They can not be pushed out to all the devices at once like the iphone. Many Androids get old quick because they might never get an update.

Androids come in all shapes, sizes, price ranges, processors.
    This sounds good, but leads app developers to write a one size fits all app. The feel, look and usability are not as good as a iphone. Think of your monitor size problem for this post.

Android is given to manufactures for free.
    Nice of Google, but they are spending a fortune on R & D. What do they get?
    Complete access to everything you do on your phone, all your personal information, everything. iphone and its support (itunes, etc) all make money. Apple is not trying to make a profit from your data as is google's "free" android.

Hey this list can go on and on. Pick what's best for you.

6. testcss thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, Howardnow for your opinion. I never will buy just any regular android phone, I would only ever consider a nexus device because it gets the updates fastest and has the latest hardware/software that Google can provide. What I really want to know is how the experience on the nexus device compares to a regular android device because of the latest hardware and software. Has anyone tested ice cream sandwich's sdk and determined if it's smoother and more intuitive?

7. radicalDESIGNZ macrumors member

I've had a Droid2 and I just jumped on the iPhone train... there are some things I miss with Android; like the customizability, Google Navigation, a working Google Voice are some of the things I miss the most.

For me, I had to root and install custom roms just to have a nice smooth flowing device with the Droid2. On the iPhone 4S, its smooth off the bat (which is to be expected to be with a new phone); but the thing I like about it the most is the uniformness you have when you have other Apple devices.

It really depends on your lifestyle I guess, I could go back to Android if I needed to; Apple doesn't own me YET, cuz there's no JB available for the iPhone 4s yet xD

Hope this helped :D

8. YMark macrumors 6502a

YMark

The problem with Android is the piss poor battery life and the fact that customization (themes, ROMs, etc) is such a PITA. Also, good luck trying to see this new Samsung outdoors in the sunlight. These screens are awesome in the dark or indoors, but you can't see squat in the sun.