Phone dialer

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by ougum, Sep 1, 2015.

1. ougum macrumors regular

Does anyone know why Apple didn't include a phone dialer on the watch. I'd like to be able to dial a quick number that's not in my friends list without pulling out my phone.

2. Enygmatic macrumors 6502a

Enygmatic

Likely because the Watch is supposed to be all about brevity and convenience, so it makes connecting with frequent Contacts/Favorites easier - not act as a full phone replacement.

4 threads, huh... you really wanted this answered.

3. pacmania1982 macrumors 6502a

pacmania1982

why not say 'dial xxx-xxx-xxxx' ?

4. testcard macrumors 68020

testcard

A keypad with 12 buttons on the Watch screen? That's going to need some very small fingers.

5. ougum thread starter macrumors regular

I had one on my Samsung gear 2, and that watch isn't much larger than My Apple watch. I used the dialer on the gear quite often with no problem at all.

6. ougum thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry about all the threads. Kept getting an error message

7. ougum thread starter macrumors regular

Great idea. But I still think we should have the option to just dial it ourselves.

8. Enygmatic macrumors 6502a

Enygmatic

I don't think that's the issue; they could use the same-sized keypad they use for inputting the passcode. I really think it's because the focus is on "frequent contacts" and friends.

9. pacmania1982 macrumors 6502a

pacmania1982

I disagree. I can't see the point. Not had to use my watch to make calls. I've answered a couple of times when my iPhone isn't to hand.

10. ougum, Sep 1, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2015

ougum thread starter macrumors regular

I understand what you're saying but some of us actually use the watch from time to time to place calls. All I'm saying is that for the premium Apple charge for it's watches, they should give us the option to actually dial a number if we'd like. Maybe a third party app will come along in the future that will allow us that ability.

11. ougum thread starter macrumors regular

I never even thought about that. We enter pass codes on these small screens pretty much every day. I've never had a problem entering mine. You're right. I guess they're focus is on contacts and friends. Problem is, some folks I want to call aren't in my contacts or friend list. Siri doesn't get it right every time. I'd just as soon input it myself.

12. Enygmatic macrumors 6502a

Enygmatic

I completely get that, I just don't think that's Apple's focus with this product. Pull out your phone for those people, until they warrant "Contacts" status - in which case, now you can call them from the Watch. You're right, though - some 3rd party apps will likely incorporate a dialer of sorts for their own apps. I just doubt Apple adds that natively.

The thing is, most of the "additions" people are asking for make it seem as though they want the Watch to be a viable substitute for their phone. It's not meant to be that, and could never be great (or arguably even serviceable) at that.