Phone for iTunes?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by TSE, Jun 19, 2008.

1. TSE macrumors 68030

Hi, I am right now waiting to get a cell phone from my parents for my birthday in July. We are going to get a family plan with either Sprint, Cingular (because my dad wants an iPhone), or Verizon. We live in Minnesota, and don't travel very often. Me and my brother both text a lot, so an all-you-can text plan will probably be made. There will be 4 phones total. I personally want a phone that has a built in .mp3 player as my 1st generation shuffle cannot turn off, just pause, so this makes the battery like only about 15 hours I recorded.

I want an .MP3 player phone with atleast 512 MBs of memory, and maybe a camera, with bluetooth.

The question is, what provider does MacRumors recommend, and what phones do you guys recommend for me that works with iTunes, that I can use as an .MP3?

I can spend up to $150 for the phone with the 2 year contract tied in.

2. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

As far as I know, there aren't any phones besides the iPhone that work with iTunes. (Except that 'Rokr' that they released a couple years ago, but I think that was discontinued because the phone was awful.)

3. TSE thread starter macrumors 68030

Ah poo. :mad:

Ah well guess I can't have an .mp3 cell phone without paying the iPhone's huge contract, which is a huge no-no.

4. MacBoy08 macrumors newbie

Ha!

(so set the stage) ...it was a cold morning ..christmas day, when i was fifteen. i wake up to one of the best christmas' ever... to unwrap what was the first natively iTunes compatible phone...and boy was that great. the Rokr... WOOO

shame EVERYTHING besides that on the phone fell apart in the first 6 months. =)

it was a glorious day june 27 when i couldnt take it any longer, i finally got my hands on the first REAL music phone... the iphone.

u will kick yourself down the road if you go with any phone other than the iphone.

5. cmcbridejr macrumors 6502a

cmcbridejr

Take a look at the Motorola SLVR.

This was the "original" iPhone, and is much sleeker than the Rokr.

I got it a couple of years ago and it is still in use by my girlfriend (I upgraded to the iPhone).

It will take a removable 512mb card for games or music, as well as some built in memory. Like the Shuffle, there is a 100 song limit.

Anyway, check it out. It was my favorite phone (before the iPhone).

6. SmartIndianKid macrumors regular

SmartIndianKid

7. TSE thread starter macrumors 68030

What music storage system do I need to use then? WMP?
    Thanks guys.

8. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

This was the worst phone I've ever owned. I'd even take a RAZR over it and that really is saying something.
    I think that the only other phone that comes anywhere near the iPhone is the N95 and I'm pretty sure that the N96 will be an amazing phone as well though obviously have not had any experience using one.
    If you want the look as well as versatility though I think the only option is the iPhone though.

9. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

Lots of phones will play MP3's. It is the protected AAC songs from the Music store that will cause you problems.

If you want to listen to those songs you need to get a phone that supports iTunes, like the Moto ROKR, SLVR, RAZR V3i (make sure it is the version with iTunes), or the iPhone.

10. keltorsori macrumors regular

Treos and Symbian phones will play nicely with iTunes, syncing nicely just like iPhones, thanks to Missing Sync. However, nothing but the Rokr (total crap) or the iPhone (how did I live without this thing?) actually support protected AAC songs from the iTunes store. iTunes Plus songs will work fine, but I'm afraid if you're looking for something that will play the new High on Fire album you just bought from the iTunes store in regular old protected AAC format, you're outta luck. If you want something that just plays nice with iTunes, go with a Treo/Centro and get motion player which has a nice iPod-esque interface

11. tsice19 macrumors 6502a

tsice19

Well, you could search the internet for "Remove iTunes DRM". Download the first one, remove all the DRM, convert to MP3, and then your whole library will be able to sync with any mp3 player(just not using iTunes, you'll need to manually do it).

12. cube macrumors G4

You just need a phone with a directory where one can just dump music files. It must act as a mass stotage device or use a card which you can write with a cheap card reader.

Some will even play unprotected AAC (of course not protected AAC from the iTunes Store, which I don't care about).

Some only take microSD (TransFlash), so the phone at max. supports upto 2GB.

Newer ones take microSDHC, which currently goes upto 16GB and is quite cheap. 32GB is coming soon. (But it's always upto the phone to support the size)

I bought a Motorola RIZR Z3 over a year ago, which plays unprotected AAC and MP3 and takes microSD upto 2GB and I just plug it with the included USB cable and sync using SyncTunes.

What you lose compared to an iPod is the syncing in iTunes of play counts from the player.

13. cmcbridejr macrumors 6502a

cmcbridejr

I've never had any problems with the SLVR L7, and it is actually still in use today by my girlfriend (when I upgraded to the iPhone). What do you not like about it?

The SLVR L7 came out a couple of years ago, as one of the first iTunes compatible phones, and it worked flawlessly with it. Even iCal and Address Book sync!

In fact, the bluetooth functionality exceeds that of what can be done with the iPhone, and there is also video recording, another feature non-existent on the iPhone.

The OP stated:

"I want an .MP3 player phone with atleast 512 MBs of memory, and maybe a camera, with bluetooth. I can spend up to $150 for the phone with the 2 year contract tied in."

Well, this is exactly the Motorola SLVR. Why do you say the RAZR is better? They both have basically the exact same UI and features. The only difference in which one is better, between SLVR and RAZR, comes down to an opinion - clamshell or no clamshell. I chose no clamshell, and thus, got the SLVR L7.

Btw, Apple did not choose clamshell for the iPhone.

14. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2