Phone Goes Nuts When Plugged into New Charger

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by MacUser77, Oct 5, 2010.

1. MacUser77 macrumors newbie

So I bought a new charger online and when it's plugged in its goes crazy things popping up and things I aint doing to the phone like the lockinfo HTC weather plugin will pop up randomly mid text....its completely bizarre.... even failed and went into safe mode this morning.... How can a charger even make your phone do that? lol

Edit: It's a wall charger in case that makes a difference...

2. dgstan macrumors 6502a

Probably shorting some pins together. Hopefully, it doesn't ruin you phone.

3. WhatAmI macrumors 6502a

WhatAmI

Point being, never ever buy those 4$ chargers off eBay, quality wise they are sub-par and even though I've yet to hear that they can cause fires I wouldn't be surprised :rolleyes:

4. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

That happens on both my iP4's with the OEM wall charger (the three-prong USB one that came in the box).

(any touch is registered multiple times in seemingly random places- ie if I try to unlock the phone it opens SBSettings. unplug the phone and all is well. oh well.)

5. KingHuds macrumors 6502

The one that comes in the box only has 2 prongs, no ground.

6. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

7. MacUser77 thread starter macrumors newbie

I realize it was cheap but still seems weird that it does that to that phone...not sure what would cause that... anyways should I discontinue use of this? Which do you think it is the chord or the wall charger part itself?

8. mlts22 macrumors 6502a

I'd not use those cheap chargers. For all we know, it might not even have a decent rectifier circuit so the phone ends up with dirty DC that screws up charging. Is the device even UL listed?

Call me loony, but I'd rather buy a known brand for something that deals with potentially lethal voltages, or at least something that passed review by an independent group before being shipped to the public.

9. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

As someone said above, it's probably shorting out. I certainly wouldn't continue to use it if I were seeing these symptoms.

On the other hand, I won't say that all such cheap products are no good. I bought five (5) sync/charge cables from an Amazon seller for $5 and have had excellent luck. They certainly don't have Apple styling, but at least they haven't broken off at the connector like my OEM cable did.

10. chargerfan macrumors member

I bought two ebay wall chargers off ebay. Only tried one. It charged, but when I needed to unlock my phone through iLock, it would cancel iLock when I tried to enter the pattern to unlock. I threw it in a drawer and don't plan on using it, at least not the wall plug.

11. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

Not if you live in countries which have 3-prong outlets (see below)(Hong Kong in my case)

Important note: This USB Power Adapter has fixed prongs for use in the United Kingdom, Ireland, Hong Kong, Singapore, and Malaysia.

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/MB706B/A?fnode=MTY1NDA0MQ&mco=MTM3NTI1ODk

12. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

I would point out that I did not buy a cheap charger, but cheap cables. I agree that one should not take the risk of using a charger that might fail to produce clean DC of the correct voltage. I've used chargers from Belkin, Kensington, and Apple without problem, but I wouldn't just use a random unbranded charger from the Internet. There's much less to go wrong with a simple cable, though.

13. lucifiel macrumors 6502a

lucifiel

Always do feel like I learn from your posts. Now I know what I can be cheap with and what I can't be cheap with.

Thank you.

14. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

You're welcome. I now feel obligated to point out that quality control on cheap cables may not be as good, and you could end up with a cable that's shorted or something. Always read the reviews and use your own common sense.

15. lucifiel macrumors 6502a

lucifiel

Again, thank you for the warning, I will, of course, take note of this as I have a feeling my current cable will need replacing soon.

16. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Are you having the thing where the insulation breaks where it connects to the dock connector? Both my wife and I have had this problem. In case you're interested, these are the cables I bought.