Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

When was phone made - does it heat up - Esim/SIM

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

aue123

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 24, 2019
Mid west USA
Trying to rule out specific variables with phone heating up. My phone says manufactured in July and no heating issues unless charging, USA version with ESim only

IMG_1794.jpeg

aue123

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 24, 2019
Mid west USA
after posting this i realized the poll doesn’t separate each vote so it’ll become a mess in the end. with no actual data that’s usable lol

• Wow
Reactions: ChoiMinji

ChoiMinji

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2021
No heat issue 15 pro, battery manufacturer date July, phone assembly September 2nd

Last edited:

NT1440

macrumors Pentium
May 18, 2008
Trying to rule out specific variables with phone heating up. My phone says manufactured in July and no heating issues unless charging, USA version with ESim only

View attachment 2284508
Let’s clarify. What do you mean “no heating issue unless charging”?

Does that mean “heats up when charging”, or “heats up to the point it stops charging and tells you it needs to cool down”?

aue123

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 24, 2019
Mid west USA
Can you edit the post?
i’m not sure how, to make it show the stats i’m wanting to analyze. i was hoping to see a correlation between manufacturing date, and sim vs esim. vs heat / non heat .. but as people select 3 it’ll just be a blob of votes that don’t actually have any meaning

aue123

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 24, 2019
Mid west USA
Let’s clarify. What do you mean “no heating issue unless charging”?

Does that mean “heats up when charging”, or “heats up to the point it stops charging and tells you it needs to cool down”?
i’ve experienced both, i usually charge with 45w charger so if the phones battery is anything under 40% it’ll draw the full 26.9w until maybe 65% where it’ll gradually taper off to about 7w in which the phone is no longer “hot” but a slight warm.

ChoiMinji

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2021
after posting this i realized the poll doesn’t separate each vote so it’ll become a mess in the end. with no actual data that’s usable lol
In the poll list you have “when the phone was made” did you mean phone assembly date? though your photo shows the battery manufacturer date. The phone assembly date and battery manufacturer dates are not necessarily the same.

Reactions: JPack

JRoDDz

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2009
NYC
The processor runs hot and titanium doesn’t absorb heat as good as aluminum. The phones will need to be down-clocked to alleviate this. It’s a hardware issue.

Banglazed

macrumors 601
Apr 17, 2017
Cupertino, CA
There are too many variables related to the “heating”. “Heating” isn’t the problem but excessive heat is and how long it last. While we have a more powerful processor, it may run a bit hot if using intensive app or handling background activities such as indexing, iCloud sync etc. We need to account for what the user is doing at the time. For example, if it is an app, what app is it and has it been updated/optimized for iOS 17? Some apps can go rogue or not respecting some settings as running in background longer than necessary needed. If it is charging, what charging brick, how many watts, what cable (USB-C has many different type (charging/PD or data cable or both). If it is in calls, what kind of calls such as audio/video on Facebook Messenger, FaceTime, etc on cellular (5G/LTE, signal bars) or WiFi, or WiFi calling? Users need to provide more info and dig deeper to ask the right questions the why, what and how.

Last edited:

Sseguin

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2009
New iPhone 15 pro max. A few times per day I can’t even hold it it’s so hot. If I play games or if it’s charging it over heats big time. Like WTF for a $2500 phone.

AlexJ092

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2013
15 PM. No heating issue. Battery Manufactured in July. Physical Sim. Charged via USBC with original charger. 😁

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.