phone in germany

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by pvdoug, Sep 7, 2011.

1. pvdoug macrumors newbie

I am taking my old jail-broken iphone att 3g to England and Germany. What are the steps I need to take to get that phone set up to make calls in those two countries? DRD

2. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

A jailbreak is not enough the baseband must be unlocked, and then you can use pay and go SIMS purchased in those countries.

A lot depends on what version of baseband is presently on the phone. If it is 5.13.04 or lower then you can simply install Ultrasn0w from Cydia to unlock. If you have a higher baseband then the only option is to install the IPAD baseband and unlock that. There are drawbacks of using the IPAD baseband on the Iphone and you might want to google and research that.

To check baseband go to System - General - About and scroll down and check Modem Firmware.

3. pvdoug thread starter macrumors newbie

Phone in England and Germany

My phone has been unlocked and now shows 4.2.1 and modem firmware 6.15.00. Does it follow that I can go into any sim shop in these two countries and purchase a chip and the phone will then operate?

4. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

If it was successfully unlocked then yes. However, suggest you check the unlock before travelling by borrowing a T-Mobile sim from someone and trying it. Do not forget to switch off 3G.