Phone Inadvertantly "Upgraded"

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by techscott, Oct 14, 2011.

1. techscott macrumors newbie

I work outside the USA. I purchased an IPhone 3GS unlocked from a local dealer. On a trip back to the States I left my phone behind and my house-sitter deceided to "do me a favor" and update my phone before he sent it back to me (we have sucky Internet here). Somehow he overwrote my legal unlocked IOS with the US ATT locked IOS. Is there legal unlocked IOSes available to be restored to my 3GS? I bought the phone in Thailand.

Thanks.

2. Kussie macrumors newbie

Hate to break it you, but from the sounds of that your phone was never actually properly unlocked. It was soft unlocked via jailbreaking (Ultrasn0w for example) and not through the carrier.

There is no such thing as a locked or unlocked copy of iOS. Carrier locking is handled by Apple on Apples servers. If they just did the straight upgrade through iTunes you are out of luck as well, because your baseband will have been updated, so what you have there for quite a while will be an iPod touch in essence as you are out of luck.

3. techscott thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

That was what I was afraid of. Thanks.

4. labman macrumors 604

labman

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Usually it's the girlfriend that gets the blame.

5. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

Yes this is a new slant on a repeating Theme. It is normally Girlfriend, sister even the dog. First time for the house sitter. We can expect a lot more of these in the next two weeks.

6. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

lol so true, first time i heard of a accidental upgrade by a house keeper

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

My dog did it:D
    It installed a locked iOS on my phone....

8. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

I can preserve my bb, even when I'm drunk. Yet people can't do this when they're sober. So sad.:D

9. Dhelsdon macrumors 65816

Dhelsdon