phone lagging a lot since 3.0

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by oftheheavens, Aug 12, 2009.

1. oftheheavens macrumors 68000

i have noticed that my phone runs a lot slower since 3.0 (i have a 3G)

i have tried doing a restore and then i used a back up instead of creating new phone. I did this because i have about 5 months of workouts saved in ifitness that i don't want to loose.

anyways is this normal? do i have to restore/create new phone?

thanks.

P.S. I really want to get a 3G S after running some programs and internet sites with them side by side. just an extra thought...

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Restoring as a new phone should only really help for a 3GS, but there are some on MR who say it also helps for the 3G. One member has proposed that you can get the same effect as restoring as a new phone by just resetting all settings. You could try that and not have the headache of losing your app settings with a new phone restore. Here's the link to his thread:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=761046

Edit: Please let us know if you see this method actually decreasing your lag.

3. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

I've noticed that my phone is dog slow now too. It's pretty annoying actually.

4. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I'm happily on 2.2.1 and I even get Twitter push notifications.

5. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

Do (Tested for 3.0) apps work fine on 2.2.1?

6. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Way to hijack a thread to bring up your 2.2.1 crap. :)

Edit: I had to go back to where you told me back on Aug. 2 that you went to 3.1 beta 3 on your 3G and 3GS. So, why are you talking about 2.2.1 again?? Also, YOU started the thread that I linked to above, which you said improved 3.0 to being as good as 2.2.1, but now you're talking about 2.2.1. Also, in another thread you said you were going to be happy with 3.0/3.1 (I forget which), and forget about 2.2.1. You know samcraig is going to have a field day with this. :) Anyway, I was hoping to help the OP here, but if we get off on a tangent about 2.2.1, I don't think that's going to be helpful.

7. mrtune macrumors 6502a

My 3G is very laggy on 3.0 as well. Heck, it has been laggy since they day I bought it, and it has been exchanged once as well. I can handle apps starting a tad slower but the lag before the keyboard pops up and allows my to start typing drives me up a wall. Especially when using the SMS app.

I gave my GF my original launch day iPhone and that things does everything faster than my 3G. Even through all the 2.x updates as well as the current 3.x.

8. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I never asked anyone to keep up with my changes. Every time I upgrade to 3.1, it annoys me until I'm forced (by myself) to downgrade to 2.2.1 so that I can feel happy again. It's a never-ending cycle. I'll tell myself "I can deal with 3.1, I really can" and then I can't and revert back to 2.2.1.

However, doing the reset DID help 3.0/3.1 tremendously... but it's not exactly like 2.2.1... the graphics still stutter, but the iPhone is way more responsive to user actions.

Yes, as long as the app doesn't say "Requires OS 3.0 or higher"

A lot of Apps still have "Requires 2.2 or higher". Basically, the apps with 3.0-specific features (push, navigation, maps, iPod access, etc) will not be 2.2 compatible usually.

9. oftheheavens thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks for posting that, it was rather helpful. While it doesn't fix the problem it does help. As for the thread jacking, he does seem to do that a lot.

also for the guy that was talking about the keyboard lag, that is what caused me to finally look for a solution. this does help that quite a bit, give it a try.

10. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I'm glad it helped. The guy who hijacked was the guy who came up with this method, in case you didn't know. I was kidding around with him, but I was worried he'd get you thinking about downgrading to 2.2.1. When you say it didn't fix all your problems, what do you mean? We (TheSpaz and I) are interested in what different people see as a result of trying this. It's supposed to be equivalent to doing a restore as new. So, let me or him know. Thanks.

11. oftheheavens thread starter macrumors 68000

it is a lot smoother now, the keyboard doen't seem to lag as much. Improved about 90% i would say.

lag when switching between home pages is now gone.

also when i had more than one page of websites in safari, pressing the button that brings you to the multi page view would lag like crazy, and that is about 50-60% faster now.

stuff like that, there is more but i just don't feel like typing all that, you get the idea though.

i would say over all it improved by about 75% and i would think that the rest of the issue is just due to running 3.0 on a 3G. This software is now to the level where it needs a faster processor or whatever to run smoothly.

anyways thanks to you both.