Phone Locks up often during multitasking i4?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by cjrulli, Aug 16, 2010.

1. cjrulli macrumors regular

My iPhone 4 likes to lock up on me when closing apps in multitasking and it'll just sit there with the multitasking screen up not allowing me to do anything. I usually have to wait 45secs-2mins for it to unfreeze or just do a reset with the home/lock button.

Does this happen to anyway else? Any suggestions on what I should do? It has done this on 4.0, 4.1, and now 4.2 no changes.

2. TruckdriverSean macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

Just curious, what apps are you closing out when it locks up? Are you closing 1-2 apps, or 7,8,10 apps?

I've read several comments like this when closing several apps, but I've never experienced this.

3. TobiasKM macrumors newbie

I have experienced freezing when closing a lot of apps from the multitasking bar.

Not anywhere near 45 secs - 2 minutes though. But there's definitely a small bug in there somewhere.

4. Savage macrumors 6502

Savage

Yes, this has happened to me since launch day and the phone just about never fails to lock up at least once when closing out of apps still. For 45 seconds to 2 minutes, too.

5. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

I usually experience this when I try to delete the SMS app

6. Quaildog macrumors newbie

i have experienced this when closing native apps like sms, mail, phone.

7. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

this is very easily duplicated on my phone also when i close several apps consecutively.
    yes, hitting home button snaps the phone out of it so it hasn't been a major issue thus far.

8. TruckdriverSean macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

Is anyone noticing a definite pattern with the lock up?

For example, does the hangup always include closing SMS as others mentioned?

9. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

I've never experienced this behavior before, though I've not specifically tried to close the SMS app. Why even bother force-closing that one, by the way?

10. Savage macrumors 6502

Savage

I just closed out of about 13 apps and for the first time it didn't lock up. I saved the SMS app for last. It did briefly lock up after that one.

11. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

To the people experiencing this problem, did you set your phone up as new or restore from backup?

I set my phone up as new and never experienced this, even after closing some 40 app including the phone app and sms app.

12. michaelfields macrumors regular

I set my phone up as new and I've noticed this as well. It's definitely something with the SMS app as anytime I'm closing apps as soon as I hit that one it sits there for at least 30 seconds. Sometimes it doesn't do it but it happens at least 3 times a day.

That's the only bug I've really noticed so far.

13. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

14. frosse macrumors 6502a

Why bother closing any apps really? :confused:

15. samcraig macrumors P6

I wrote in the other thread - but personally (and I don't care what any techie or Apple says) have seen up to a 10 percent battery drain on any given day when I had my task manager (ooops I mean fast switching bar) full of apps. And these are not apps that "multitask"

I tested thoroughly for 2 weeks. Other people might experience something different and maybe it's a particular app or combo - but it is without a doubt something I have experienced.

Is it definitively the task bar - maybe not. But in my scenario - I prefer to "play it safe" and kill the apps and reclaim the up to 10 percent battery loss in a full day.

16. rans0m00 macrumors 6502

I can close countless third part apps but when I attempt to close the phone related ones (phone&messages) I usually lock up for at least 20 seconds. Has happened with trying to close other apps but not even as close to as often.

17. rans0m00 macrumors 6502

Because its annoying when you want to get to a certain app and Apple has more or less given you a quick access bar for things running in the background but instead to get to that app i have to scroll through a handful of apps I opened once while I was bored earlier in the day but do nothing in the background. They need to change it to where if it does not run in the background like Pandora or Skype then it never gets put on that bar to begin with. The way things currently are its just easier to use the regular screens to load programs which I do not think that was Apples intent.... Sry for the rant.

18. michaelfields macrumors regular

yeah this is definitely true. I tested it tonight, usually when I'm at work by the time I get off my battery is around 76 percent with nothing left in the app tray.

Tonight I left only the sms app and after I got off of work my battery is at 58 percent with the same amount of usage; and of course when I got home and finally closed the sms app my phone locked up.