iPhone XS phone not picking up LTE when bars are present

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by edhchoe, Jul 23, 2019.

1. edhchoe macrumors 6502a

edhchoe

My XS shows several LTE bars everywhere. In the building and out in the parking lot etc.
    However, I have to restart the phone to get the reception a lot of times.
    It just won't receive any data when I try to use it.
    After I reboot the phone the reception works normally outside.
    Indoor reception is terrible.

I have T-Mobile by the way.

2. pika2000 macrumors 603

Sometimes, it's the carrier that have the issue, and there's really nothing you can do about it other than making sure your settings like the APN is correct. Or try resetting the Network settings.

Some carrier towers are just simply overcrowded, and this can happen with any carrier. I've been in situations where I have full bars, but no data nor ability to call, simply because the towers are just over saturated.

3. brenard macrumors newbie

I'm having the same problem from time to time. I will just turn on the airplane mode and turn it off.

4. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

When I had T-Mo I had the exact same problems. Thought they had better building penetration now but I guess not.

You need to go to ATT or Verizon.

5. Tmacc47 macrumors member

That’s definitely a T-mobile thing, though my 6s on Cricket does that occasionally indoors and outdoors.

6. mackie8 macrumors 6502a

same here.. XR .. im playing and suddenly no internet.. spotify on but also says no connection but there is LTE ... on off mobile data not working...
    i really need to restart phone before connection comes back...

7. tonyy macrumors 6502a

tonyy

Pretty pathetic to have to resort to do this on a phone that’s 1k.

I have to do it too.

8. edhchoe thread starter macrumors 6502a

edhchoe

I talked with T Mobile agent and I think it has been fixed.

He refreshed my network on his end. And he had me turn it off for 3 minutes.
    I did this while I was at home where I have good LTE because I contacted him after I got home from work.
    He would have preferred to troubleshoot while I was at work where I was having the problem.
    Anyway, he also said if I continue to have problem at work try this.

1. settings -> cellular

While I am on that screen, quickly do the following.

2. volume up,
    volume down,
    then press and hold power button until the phone reboots and the white Apple logo comes up.
    You have to do this in quick succession. (up. down. hold power) one button at a time. Not simultaneously.

The next morning when I got to work I did it anyway before going in the building.
    I didn't have to reboot the phone when I came back out.

However, I still don't get LTE reception in the building at work. I have to connect to work WiFi. It is a hassle but T Mobile is cheaper than Verizon or ATT.